An invitation letter for a Canada visa is required for a few visa categories. In a few visas, it will improve the chance to get a visa. While it is a necessary part of the requirements for other visas.
In this blog, we will explain what an invitation letter, the visa applicants who need it, how to write one, samples, FAQs, and more.
Invitation letter for Canada visa
When you apply for a Canada short-stay (Temporary) visa, you will be staying in the country for a limited time. It is up to six months. The purpose of the visit could be:
- Visiting friends and family
If a Canadian citizen or resident sends you an invitation letter, the visa application will get easier. Sometimes, the authorities might ask you to provide an Invitation Letter for a Canada visa. It is particularly true with the Canada business visa.
Invitation Letter for Canada visa is a signed letter from someone you know well in Canada. He/she could be:
- Business partner
- A friend
- Family member
An invitation letter will provide the reason you are traveling to Canada. It will also prove that you are honest about the purpose of your visit. Please note that having an Invitation Letter for Canada visa does not guarantee to receive a visa.
Who Needs an Invitation Letter for Canada visa?
If you are eligible for a Canada eTA, you don’t need an invitation letter. Applicants need an invitation letter for Canada visa in the following situations:
- An applicant wants to visit Canada for tourism. He/she is not free of Canada short-stay visa.
- The visitor is going to apply for a Canada super visa.
- An applicant is visiting Canada for business purposes. The visitor is not free of Canada short-stay visa.
Who Can Write an Invitation Letter for a Canada visa?
A person you know well can write an invitation letter. He/she could be:
- A close friend
- A business partner
Please note that your relative must have an official certificate proving the relationship.
What Info Should the Host Include?
The person writing an invitation letter for a Canada visa must include the following information about himself/herself:
- The complete name. It must include first and last name.
- Date of his/her birth.
- Full contact information:
- Phone number
- A clear, correct address in Canada.
- Residential status; a citizen or permanent resident in Canada. You could do it through:
- Canadian Passport or Canadian citizenship card.
- Birth certificate. When you were born in Canada, you could provide it.
- A copy of the Permanent Resident card or the IMM 1000
- The career you have in Canada.
- You must state the names and birth dates of dependents and close family members living with you.
- The complete number of people that are living with you. It must also include:
- The people who you have sponsored
- The person whose sponsorship is still in progress.
What Info Should You Include About the Guest?
You must include the following items about the person inviting:
- Full name, don’t forget middle name if they have one.
- The date of birth
- Present address and phone number
- What is the applicant’s purpose in visiting Canada?
- The relation that the visa applicant has to the host.
- How long will the applicant stay in Canada?
- The accommodation and financial means of the person you are inviting.
- The dates the applicant will enter and leave Canada.
Invitation letter for a Canada Super visa
Canada Super visa got introduced for foreign parents and grandparents to visit their children. As parents stay for longer than six months, an invitation letter is mandatory for a Super visa. There are also more requirements, as follows:
- A written and signed assurance that you will cover your parents/grandparent’s expenses in Canada.
- Evidence or proof to have enough funds to cover the people living with you and your parents/grandparents.
Business Invitation Letter for a Canada visa
If you aim to invite a business partner into Canada to develop business ties, you should send him an invitation letter. It is one of the requirements for a Canada business visa.
Do You Need a Business invitation letter?
When you visit Canada for business purposes and you need a Canada short-stay visa, you need an invitation letter as well. The business people that need an invitation letter include:
- Conference visitors
- Current or future buyers
- Employees coming from abroad to get trained at the Company’s Canadian subsidiary.
Information you should include about Business people Visiting Canada
You should include the following information about the business guest visiting Canada:
- Complete name
- Details about the guest’s Company. The post/role he/she has in the Company is also mandatory.
- The current address of the Company.
- Full contact details.
- The business ties between the host company and the guest.
- The reason for the visit.
- Duration of the stay.
- Who is covering accommodation and travel expenses?
- When will the visitor leave Canada?
Please note that you have to provide the information on the Company’s letterhead.
Business Gest Visiting Canada
The foreign businessperson visiting Canada must enter the following details about himself/herself:
- Complete name, please don’t forget the middle name if you have one.
- The name of the Company
- Present address
- Website of the Company in case you have one.
- Registration date.
- A description of the history of the Company and the area they work in.
Do You Have to Notarize Invitation letter?
The visa officer might ask you a notarized invitation letter. You will know this when during visa interview. It would be better to prepare a notarized one in advance to save time. You could also ask the Canadian embassy in your home country or visit their website to make sure.
Sample of Invitation Letter for a Canada Visa
To have a clear understanding of an Invitation Letter for a Canada visa, we have provided one for you. The information in the letter is not real. But you can replace the bold parts with yours.
Invitation letter Sample 1
Ontario, July 27, 2020
To the Canadian Embassy in Beijing China
19 Dongzhimen Outer St, Chaoyang, Beijing, China
+86 10 5139 4000
Subject: Invitation Letter for Mr. Jin Jin
My name is Jin Ling, I was born on Jan 10, 1991, and I am from Toronto. I am a Canadian citizen, and I live in Suite 1450, 220 Laurier Avenue W., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
My household has no one living with me, and I work for M&Tech, earning C$ 25.000.
Through this letter, I am inviting Jin Jin, born on Aug 25, 1995, and currently living in 17 Dongzhimen Outer St, Chaoyang, Beijing, China, to Canada for a short stay. Mr. Jin Jin will be staying in Suite 1450, 220 Laurier Avenue W., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, from July 30, 2020, until Nov 30, 2020. I am Jin Jin’s brother, and we will be visiting and touring around Canada for two months in different locations.
Jin Jin currently works as an engineer, earning C$ 3500 with which he will be able to afford the stay in Canada. JIn is a genuine visitor who will not overstay his visa. His work obligations in Beijing R& D extend, and Mr. Jin is needed back to work as soon as he returns from Canada.
You are kindly informed to find the certified copy of my permanent residence card and my bank report for the past 6 months.
You are also requested to contact me should you have any further questions regarding myself or Mr. Jin Jin.
I look forward to having Mr. Jin Jin visit me in Canada so we can spend time together and visit Canada.
Suite 1450, 220 Laurier Avenue W., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Ling [email protected] Signature
Invitation letter Sample 2
The photo below provides another sample to write an invitation letter for Canada visa:
Let’s sum up…
In this blog, we explained all the general information you need to know about the Invitation letter for Canada visa.
We explained why you need an invitation letter for Canada visa, the groups that need it, how to write one, and information you should include, and more.
You can check Visa Library to find more information about other countries’ visas.
In case you have some experience, please write it down in the comment section. Your comments let the readers choose better and avoid mistakes. Conveying your experiences as comments is a great help for applicants.