Australia has long been regarded as a land of opportunities for engineers. Engineering careers are in great demand and provide diverse opportunities, enabling them to work where they are most needed! For example, they may work in construction, information technology, communications, mining, or pharmaceuticals. This great demand has persuaded foreigners to immigrate to Australia as engineers.
In 2023, engineers will be more valued than ever. The world is changing frenetically, and Australia needs individuals who can keep up. Engineers are crucial in shaping our future; they can think creatively about improving themselves and their environment!
Engineers are concerned with various issues, including invention, design, development, improvement, exploitation of hardware and resources, framework and methods, machines, and numerous others. Consequently, engineering offers a wide range of possibilities that may be used for several reasons worldwide.
Are Engineers in Demand in Australia?
Does Australia need engineers? Engineer employment in Australia has increased dramatically in the last two years. Engineering job opportunities accounted for more than 3.5% of all previous year’s advertisements. The need for talented migrants will likely increase in the future, and the government intends to attract more qualified employees by authorizing additional PR visas.
What are the Top Engineering Fields in Demand in Australia?
- Software Developer
- ICT Business and Systems Analysts
- Civil Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Computer Network Professionals
- Mechanical Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Agriculture Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Marine Engineering
Immigrate to Australia as an Engineer: Hard Skills
- A work visa
- A degree in engineering
- Good knowledge of the language
Immigrate to Australia as an Engineer: Soft Skills
- Understanding and communication skills with a wide range of people
- Capability to work in a group
- Having logical approaches to work
- Ability to work individually
- Having work interest and a strong interest in maintaining and improving technical concepts
- Capability to explore, identify, and solve problems in a timely and efficient manner
- Excellent customer service abilities
- Capability to make educated judgments in tough business situations
Things to Consider Before Immigrating to Australia as an Engineer
Before you immigrate to Australia as an engineer, there are a few things to consider. So, here is your useful checklist before you pack your suitcases.
Obtain employment and visa sponsorship before booking your flight
Before coming to Australia, you should try to find work. Once your potential company has issued an offer, they can sponsor your visa to live and start working in Australia for up to four years, following which you can apply for permanent residency.
The Australian government previously declared that the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457 visa) would be phased out in March 2018 and replaced with the entirely new Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa.
- The TSS visa will include new restrictions, which include, but are not restricted to:
- Visa applicants must have at least two years of experience in their specialized employment.
- Unless an international trade requirement applies, mandatory labor market testing is required.
- Only one onshore visa renewal under the Short-Term stream is permitted.
- Under the Medium-Term track, you can renew your visa onshore and apply for permanent residency after three years.
Eligibility restrictions for employer-sponsored permanent skills visas will also be revised, including, but not limited to:
- English language standards have been tightened.
- Potential immigrants must have at least three years of work experience.
- At the time of application, foreigners must be under the age limit of 45. (unless exemptions apply)
- Employers must pay the market salary rate in Australia and satisfy the TSMIT or Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold.
Consider the cost of living
Before moving, you should consider the cost of living to guarantee that you are well-equipped to settle in without undue financial stress. The cost of living in Sydney is about comparable to that of London. Food is generally comparable, except for soft drinks, imported beer, and bottled water, which are more costly in Australia. Regarding transportation, Australia wins in terms of gasoline prices; monthly travel passes, and average automobile expenditures.
Although rent will always be a major problem for anybody who cannot afford a home outright, buying a home will always be a more difficult process than finding somewhere to live, which is no different in Australia. If you have a job set up, it is critical to check how far your possible purchase is from a town, workplace, and other facilities such as schools and shops. Many people are surprised by the land cost because most large communities are on or near the shore, so competition for construction space is tighter than you might anticipate.
If you intend to rent a home, many Australian companies will pay for a month’s worth of rent upon your arrival.
Get your tax and pension affairs in order
Non-residents are taxed at 32.5c per dollar earned up to AUD 80,000, with higher tax rates applied to earnings exceeding AUD 80000. On the other hand, foreign residents are exempt from the Medicare fee.
In most situations, your employer or sponsor is required to pay you obligatory superannuation (or pension) payments, which are presently 9.5 percent of your entire wage package. You can select which authorized scheme your superannuation will be deposited into.
Tie up any loose ends
There will always be loose ends to tie up, and it is critical to keep track of them. For instance, if you buy a home, you must decide whether to rent it out, sell it, or keep it unoccupied. Furthermore, shipping should also be included if you’re moving away with family. Most families have stuff they wish to bring that cannot be transported by airline and must be mailed over. If your new employer employs many expats, they should have transportation firms they use and can recommend to you. Many companies will give some financial support in these situations.
In conclusion, an overseas transfer is not only an exciting adventure but may also greatly increase your career possibilities. Australia is a location where people from all over the world come to share and participate in the living experience of a contemporary nation. Although Australia does not have the past of some other countries, it does have a promising future.
How to Get a Job and Immigrate to Australia as an Engineer?
Starts with your resume
Poorly written resumes and resumes that highlight tasks rather than personal or team accomplishments may prevent you from creating an impression and securing a professional engineer job in Australia before you ever get to the interview stage.
Be Selective about engineering jobs
Start your job search for professional engineers using websites that offer professional engineer jobs in Australia.
Do not send identical resumes and cover letters to 1000 organizations, as managers in comparable professional engineer hiring firms communicate with one another. This is a common misconception. Instead, using Linkedin, networking, cold calling, and informative interviews are far more successful methods of resume distribution.
Be enthusiastic about your engineer job search
To demonstrate your interest, constantly check up a week after submitting your CV. After an interview, “thank-you” emails set you apart from other applicants seeking professional engineer positions in Australia. Furthermore, even if you do not acquire the present roles, if employment openings exist in the future, you may receive a call from the employer directly asking whether you are still interested in working for the company.
Get strong support
If you have excellent references, getting professional engineer employment in Australia will be simpler. Obtain job references from past employers in your own country or countries where you worked.
Use Linkedin to get in touch with companies and employers in Australia
This professional social media tool serves as your online CV and network. Every day, advertisers and professional engineering companies in Australia use the app to find applicants for open vacancies. Remember that most potential professional engineer jobs in Australia are never publicly listed. This is the so-called hidden job market, so don’t sit at home expecting that professional engineer job to come knocking at your door. There are roles available, but they may need additional effort to locate.
Get Australian-approved accreditation
Professional engineer positions in Australia may necessitate accreditation. In addition, nursing, physiotherapy, social work, and teaching, among other professions, frequently need further certification.
Finding engineer job positions in Australia when establishing your support network from the start might be difficult, but it is doable. It is critical that you trust in yourself and continue to strive. Many people have succeeded in this procedure, and if you have the necessary abilities and experience, you may as well.
Which State is the Best for Professional Engineer Jobs in Australia?
Professional engineers are presently in high demand throughout Australia. However, in terms of overall demand, the Australian States of New South Wales and Victoria have substantially more live professional engineer positions than other States, implying that it’s a good place to start the professional engineer job search.
Is Your Job on the Australian Skills Shortage List?
There are four talent shortage lists in Australia. These lists include all of the jobs in Australia that require foreign workers due to a talent deficit in the country.
- MLTSSL: Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List
- STSOL: Short-Term Skilled Occupation List
- ROL: Regional Occupational List
- PMSOL: Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List
Every job on Australia’s skills shortage listings, including engineers, is allocated an ANZSCO code. This ANZSCO code specifies the standards for your specific employment. To file for an Australian skilled migrant visa, you must fulfill the skilled migration requirements and the ANZSCO criteria.
Note: The great news is that Engineers are on the most in-demand list for the MLTSSL. The ANZSCO code for Engineering Professionals is 233999.
“This unit group includes Engineering Professionals who are not otherwise categorized. For example, Biomedical Engineers, Environmental Engineers, Aeronautical Engineers, Engineering Technologists, Agricultural Engineers, and Naval Architects (Australia) / Marine Designers (New Zealand) are all included.”
The Immigration Department of Australia also establishes the credentials necessary for an Engineering Professional to come to Australia following the Australian Qualification Framework (“AQF”).
This is measured in Competence Levels, and the skill level for Engineering Professionals is 1. This signifies that jobs at Skill Level 1 have a skill comparable to a bachelor’s degree or above. A formal qualification may be substituted for at least five years of relevant experience. In some cases, relevant experience or on-the-job training could be necessary for addition to the official certification.
Immigrate to Australia as Engineers: Eligible Conditions
Your occupation being listed on a skills shortage list is only the beginning! To file for a skilled Australian visa, you must also fulfill Australia’s skilled immigration standards. These needs are outlined below:
English language ability
To immigrate to Australia as an engineer, you must get an IELTS score of 7 in all four test components, including reading, listening, writing, and speaking. However, the IELTS exam is not the only English test offered. Your immigration agent should advise you on your ideal English language exam.
To be eligible to immigrate to Australia as an engineer, all candidates for permanent and temporary visas must fulfill Australia’s health standards. This includes the following:
- The primary applicant and spouse
- Anyone else in the family unit
The migration medical services provider or the Department of Home Affairs will review completed health exam reports to determine whether applicants fit Australia’s health standards.
Please remember that some non-migrating family members will be tested against the health standards.
Everyone who wishes to immigrate to Australia as an engineer must be of good character and will be evaluated following the country’s character criteria. You may be asked to present a police clearance certificate or other documentation to fulfill the character standards as part of your visa application.
- You will fail the character assessment if you:
- You have a significant criminal record, which means you have been punished for 12 months or more in jail or several terms totaling more than 12 months. A suspended sentence is equivalent to a jail sentence.
- You have been charged with attempting to flee immigration custody or of committing an offense:
- While you were detained by immigration,
- During an attempt to flee immigration custody,
- Following an escape, but before being returned to immigration custody.
- You are or have been a part of a group or organization, or you’ve had or currently have an affiliation with a person, group, or organization that the Minister of Immigration suspects of criminal activity.
- People smuggling, trafficking, genocide, war crimes, crimes against humanity, crimes involving torture or slavery, or crimes of international concern are reasonable suspicions of your involvement by the Minister for Immigration, whether you have been convicted of such crimes or not.
Your criminal or general behavior in the past and now demonstrates that you are not of good character.
- There is a chance that while in Australia, you will:
- Participate in criminal activity,
- Harass, molest, frighten, or stalk someone else,
- Vilify a section of the Australian population,
- Instigate strife in the Australian community or a segment of it,
- Pose a hazard to the Australian community or a section of it.
- You have been prosecuted, found guilty, or charged with one or more offenses against a minor in sexual cases.
- The Security Intelligence Organization in Australia has given you a negative security rating.
- You are the target of an Interpol notice, which implies that you pose a direct or indirect risk to the Australian population or a subset of the Australian community.
Immigrate to Australia as an Engineer: Visa Options
Almost every engineering career is on the list of medium and long-term strategic capabilities. This implies that there are more prospective PR visas for which you may apply.
Visas for Skilled Workers
The Australian Skilled Migration program is designed for those a corporation does not sponsor (with a job offer from an Australian employer). Applicants must be over 18 and under 45, have strong English language skills, recent relevant skilled job experience, and qualifications equal to Australian standards. You must:
- Be under the age of 45
- Choose employment from the appropriate skill list.
- Fulfill the English language requirements
- Fulfill Australia’s health requirements
- Satisfy the prescribed point total
You will get points based on the following criteria:
- Points for Work Experience
- Points for 2-Year Study
- Points for Professional Year
- Points for Regional Study
- Points for English
- Points for NAATI- Credentialled Community Language
- Educational Qualifications
- Points for STEM or Educational Specialist Qualifications
- Points for Partner
Skilled Independent Visa or Subclass 189
This visa permits you to indefinitely live, work, and study in Australia. It is a visa based on points. According to the previous round of invitations, you would need to score at least 90 to be eligible for an invitation.
Skilled Nominated Visa or Subclass 190
Like the Subclass 189 visa, this visa permits you to reside, work, and study in Australia forever. It is also a visa with a points system. The minimum number of points required to apply is 65. You must have a state willing to nominate you for the subclass 190 visa. Each state has its list of occupations. If your engineering field is on the state occupation list and you fulfill all of the state’s qualifying requirements, you can request that the state nominate you.
Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) Visa or Subclass 491
Even though this visa is not permanent, it may result in a permanent residency (Skilled Regional Visa or Subclass 191). The Subclass 491 visa permits you to reside, work, and study in an Australian regional area. It is also a visa with a points system. The minimum number of points required to apply is 65. Another need for this visa is to be nominated by a state or sponsored by a qualifying relative. You must verify the state’s occupation list and fulfill all of the state’s standards to be nominated by the state. In addition, your qualified relative must be a regular resident of a recognized regional area of Australia to be sponsored.
Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional Visa) or Subclass 494
If you have a local employer prepared to sponsor you, you can apply for subclass 494. You must have at least three years of work experience in your specified occupation and a related skills evaluation to be qualified for this visa. There is a prerequisite with this visa that you work for the employer supporting you.
Permanent Residence Skilled Regional Visa or Subclass 191
This visa was put into effect on November 16, 2022. It is for those with a Subclass 491 or Subclass 494 visa who have lived, worked, or studied in the specified regional area for at least three years and have a taxable income of $53,900 or more. This visa allows you to indefinitely live, work, and study in Australia.
Employer Nomination Scheme Visa or Subclass 186
If you have a sponsoring employer, you may be able to get a Subclass 186 visa. This visa is permanent, granting you the right to reside, work, and study in Australia permanently. You must have at least three years of work experience in your specific job and a positive skills evaluation to be qualified for this visa. If you have a Subclass 457 or TSS visa, you can file for Subclass 186 after working for your employer for at least three years.
How Can Engineers Calculate Their Australian Immigration Points?
To get your Immigration Points Total, add your points from each component.
Age Requirements to Immigrate to Australia as Engineers
Your age points are counted as being inside an age band until the day before your birthday, at which point you are moved into the next bracket. For instance, you are between 18 and 24 until the day before your 25th birthday. For point reasons, you advance to the next age group on your 25th birthday.
- 25 points for 18 to 24
- 30 points for 25 to 32
- 25 points for 33 to 39
- 15 points for 40 to 44
- Age 45. The new age restriction for Australian Skilled Migration is 45 years old. After 45, you are no longer eligible for skilled migration; nevertheless, you may be able to relocate to Australia via one of the country’s numerous other visa programs. Take our Free Visa Assessment to find out which visa alternatives are available.
Points for English Language proficiency to Immigrate to Australia as an Engineer
- 20 points for Good
- 10 points for Medium
- 0 points for Basic
Work Experience Points to Immigrate to Australia as an Engineer
- 5 points for 3 to 5 years
- 10 points for 5 to 8 years
- 15 points for 8 years or more
Please keep in mind that if you are working in your qualifying field, your work experience time will continue even after your application is filed.
So, if you think you’ll be moving into the next experience band for work experience in the coming months, assign yourself the points for the higher band because you’ll be in that bracket by the time Australian Immigration does the final tally of points as a check.
Points for Qualification to Immigrate to Australia as an Engineer
- 20 points for a PhD
- 15 points for a Degree
- 10 points for Trade Qualification
Points for Community Language Skills
Languages that qualify for additional points for Engineering Professional Immigration to Australia:
You must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters NAATI to receive the 5 bonus points for a credentialed Community Language stated above. You must pass the NAATI exam at Level 2 or above to become accredited.
It is not enough to merely speak the language; you must also be certified to get the extra 5 points.
Points for State Sponsorship and Regional Area
We will always file an application for Permanent Residency under the State Sponsored Visa category. Add 5 points for the State Sponsorship Visa and 15 points for the Regional Visa 491 option.
Points for Partner Skills for Australian Skilled Migration
You can get an additional 5 points if your spouse is likewise qualified for a job on the Occupations in Demand Lists and is prepared to undergo the skills assessment for that occupation.
Now sum up your points. The minimum number of points required to be eligible for Australian Skilled Migration is 65. If you have not yet attained age 65, please contact us by finishing this free visa evaluation. There are also alternative ways to earn points that you could be eligible for and other visa options. Too many people believe they do not qualify when, in fact, they do.
How to Immigrate to Australia as an Engineer?
After you check your eligibility by finding your job in the shortage list and calculating your points to see whether you are eligible, you can start your application process. You need to:
- Complete the Skills assessment process
- Write an expression of interest or EOI
- Submit your formal application
A skill evaluation is necessary before applying for a permanent resident visa. Engineers Australia is the skill assessment authority for engineers (EA). Depending on your certification, EA provides multiple skill evaluation paths. We will summarize the various routes for you below:
Engineers Australia accredited qualification
EA (Engineers Australia) considers several courses in Australia and abroad to be approved. This is because they previously assessed these courses as meeting the educational requirements for becoming a professional engineer in Australia.
The majority of approved courses are taught in Australia. However, some are taught in other countries, such as Malaysia or Singapore. The complete list of authorized courses is available here.
When applying for the skills assessment, select the Australian Qualification Pathway if you have completed an approved course.
The Washington Accord permits Australia to accept recognized credentials from foreign members. The Washington Accord’s signatories include:
|Hong Kong China|
To be qualified, the qualification must be recognized by the representative body of the signatory nation and be comparable to a four-year Bachelor’s degree in Australia.
When applying for the skills exam, select the Washington Accord Pathway if you have completed an approved course under the Washington Accord.
The French Diplôme d’Ingénieur earned in or after 1970 and mentioned in the Journal Officiel of la République was also recognized by EA in 2019. You can apply through the Washington Accord pathway if you have this qualification.
The Sydney Accord, like the Washington Accord, permits Australia to recognize qualifications from other members. The Sydney Accord is signed by:
|Hong Kong China|
The minimal academic qualifications for the Sydney Accord program are a qualification comparable to a three-year Bachelor of Technology degree in engineering in Australia.
When applying for the skills exam, select the Sydney Accord Pathway if you have completed an approved course under the Sydney Accord.
Australia recognizes certified qualifications granted by other Dublin Accord members. The list of the signatories:
Qualification is non-accredited/ non- AccordIf none of the above apply, you must ask for a skill assessment using the CDR or Competency Demonstration Report process. As part of the CDR process, you must provide a report that includes the following information: Continuing Professional Development After graduating, it must demonstrate how you have stayed current with innovations in your engineering field. 3 Career Episodes Your engineering education and/or professional experience are highlighted in the career episodes. Each episode should concentrate on a different period or facet of your technical efforts. Summary Statement Competency units and aspects must be satisfied to be evaluated as an engineer. The summary statement enables you to show how your experience meets these requirements. You will require the following papers as a starting point and additional role-specific documentation as needed:
- Passport photocopy
- Your Curriculum Vitae OR Resume
- Pay Stubs from each of your jobs
- Your Qualifications. References for every position you have held (we will provide instructions on what to include and a format you can give your references to ensure the references contain all the relevant information Australia requires.
- Identification documentation. The Skills Assessment is a required component of the Australia Emigration process, and we cannot proceed to the next step of the application without it. The number on your Skills Assessment certificate must be supplied for the next stage of the procedure.
Expression of Interest EOIFollowing a good Skills Assessment, you may submit an Expression of Interest, which places you in a pool of people wishing to move to Australia as an engineer. It is therefore critical that you provide the best possible case in order to be invited to apply for your official skilled visa.
Formal ApplicationAfter obtaining an invitation to apply, the last stage of your immigration to Australia as an engineer is your official application to the Department of Home Affairs. Criminal record checks and medicals are necessary at this point.
Can Your Family Join You on a Skilled Visa?Yes, with the added benefit that your partner may not be required to undergo a skills assessment for whatever career they have. The rights and benefits granted to the primary visa holder are immediately extended to partners and children.
How Much Does an Engineer Make in Australia in 2023?The average engineer’s income in Australia is $112,429 per year or $57.66 per hour. Entry-level salaries start at $94,005, with most experienced individuals earning up to $155,247 per year. Other related salaries:
- Civil Engineer: $105,243
- Project Engineer: $120,000
- Mechanical Engineer: $110,129
- Operations Manager: $120,052
- Engineer: $111,797
- Design Engineer: $105,781
- Engineers with less than two years of experience may expect to earn around 48,800 AUD per year.
- Anyone with two to five years of experience is likely to make 62,800 AUD per year, which is 29% higher than someone with less than two years of experience.
- Moving ahead, an engineer with five to 10 years of experience earns 86,600 AUD annually, 38% more than an engineer with two to five years of experience.
- Furthermore, Engineer(s) with ten to fifteen years of experience earn 107,000 AUD a year, which is 24% more than an engineer with five to ten years of experience.
- If you have fifteen to twenty years of experience, you can expect to earn 115,000 AUD a year, which is 7% more than an engineer with 10 to fifteen years of experience.
- Finally, individuals with more than twenty years of engineering experience earn 123,000 AUD annually, which is 7% higher than those with fifteen to twenty years of experience.
- An Engineer’s annual income is 61,000 AUD when their education level is Bachelor’s Degree.
- A person with a Master’s Degree earns 97,900 AUD a year, which is 60% more than someone with a Bachelor’s Degree.