When you want to visit Spain for different purposes, you might need a Spain visa.

In this comprehensive guideline, you can find the visa that suits your purpose without confusion.

Who Needs and Does not Need Spain Visa?

If you need a visa or not depends on:

  • Your nationality
  • The duration of your stay
  • The purpose of your trip

A few countries are exempt from Spain’s short-stay visa while many more need it. The short-stay visa-free countries can visit Spain without a visa for up to 90 days. But if you need to stay longer than 90 days, you should apply for a particular type of visa. For example, if you want to study, you need a student visa and if you want to work, you need a work visa.

Requirements for Spain Visa

The requirements you need for a visa to Spain is:

Application form

You need to complete the application form with the correct information. Then print, sign, and date it. Remember there are two applications for the short-term and the long term.


Provide two photos, take in the past three months with a light background.

Passport Photo Banner


It must be valid for three months over the date you will return. It should have two blank pages as well.

Travel insurance

It must be valid in Spain and the entire Schengen states for 30.000 EUR.

Cover letter

You state the purpose of your visit to the Spanish authorities.

Reserved flight ticket

It shows the entry and exit dates from Spain and the flight number if you stay with your host, an invitation letter from him/her plus address and exact information.

Medical Certificate

It must show you have no disease and issued from a doctor in the past three months.

Proof of accommodation

It could be the receipt of a booking hotel or rental contract.

Civil status proof

You must provide:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Children’s birth certificate
  • Death certificate of spouse

Proof to have enough funds

For a ten-day stay in Spain, you need to have at least 598.68€. If you stay longer than that, the daily cost is 64.86.

Invitation letter

If you will be visiting friends/family, provide an invitation letter from him/her.

Need an Invitation Letter but Can’t Write One? Let us Help You!

Order Your Fully Personalized Invitation Letter here at Visa Library and Have It Delivered in 48 Hours!

Writing an Invitation Letter Just Got a Whole Lot Easier Now!

Requirements based on your job status


  • Contract of employment.
  • Bank statements for the past six months.
  • Permission letter from employer
  • Income Tax Return (ITR)


  • A copy of business registration/business license
  • Bank statements for the past six months.
  • Income Tax Return (ITR)


  • Proof of enrollment
  • Permission leave from your school/university


  • Pension statement of the latest six months

Requirements for minors

  • Parent’s regular income:
    • work contract with specified monthly income
    • a bank statement
    • business license
  • Formal travel permission from the parent
  • If one parent lives in another country – their formal travel permission

You can also read more on the Spain visa requirement blog.

The Spanish visa comes into two types.

  1. Short-stay visa
  2. Long-stay Visa

Infographic Requirements for Spain Visa, Spain Short-Stay Visa

Spain  short-stay Visa

Spanish non-immigrant visas or short-stay visas are the visas that let you enter the country for a limited time. There are different types according to the purpose of your visit, as follows:

A. Visitor visa

Types of Spain visitor visas are as follows:

Transit Visa

Spain Airport Visa is permission to stop in one of the Spanish airports to get another flight. You may only stay there for up to 24 hours.

Spain Airport Visa is a short-stay visa. If you need to change your flight to one of the Spanish airports, you might need a Transit Visa. With this visa, you can only have access to the Spanish international airport zone. The Schengen law DOES NOT ALLOW foreigners to travel/stay in the Spanish international zone without a visa. Airport Visa often gets called Airport visa as well. To know more about this visa, you can visit Do I Need Airport Transit Visa blog.

Tourist Visa

A tourist visa is a type of short-stay visa. You can enter Spain with this visa to do sightseeing, visit places, have a holiday, etc. When you are in Spain on this visa, you can visit your family and friends as well. Please note that a Tourist visa is the same as a Spain Visitor visa. To get more information about Spain tourist visa, you can visit Do I Need a tourist visa?

B. Business Visa

Spain business visa comes under the short-stay visa category. With a business visa, you enter the country for up to 90 days in six months. It lets you enter the country and do whatever business purpose you have. With this visa, you can:

  • Attend meetings
  • Visit industries
  • Sign agreements, MOUs or contracts
  • Etc.

Please note that you can not study, work, or get involved in any paid job with a business visa. It also allows you to travel to other Schengen countries as well. If you want to get more information about Spain’s business visa, you can visit  “All you should know about Business visa blog”.

C. Other visas

Cultural Visa

Spain, a cultural visa, is a Schengen visa. It allows you to enter Spain to take part in cultural, sport, or religious events. It also allows members of film crews to enter the country to make a film.

With a cultural visa, you can also visit other Schengen countries. The place you should apply to depends on:

  • The country you will arrive at first.
  • The Schengen country you will spend most of your time in.

The residents of the EU/EEA don’t need to apply for this visa.

Spain long-stay visa

A. Student visa

Student visa comes into Spain long-stay visas. It lets you stay in the country for longer than 90 days to continue your education. It has several advantages to you, such as:

  • allowing you to bring your family,
  • work,
  • extend it,
  • etc.

Please note that not everyone needs a student visa for Spain. The citizens of EU/EAA don’ need to apply for it if they stay less than 90 days. If your nationality needs a short-stay visa for Spain, then you need a student visa.

Please remember that if your study course takes longer than 90 days, you need a student visa. Your nationality does not matter. If you want to know more about student visa, you can visit  “All requirements for Student Visa”.

B. Work visa

Spain is always looking for highly skilled workers. The rich history and strong tourism make the employment market good. If you are considering working in Spain, you need a work visa. If you are a non-EU or EEA national, then you will need this visa.

Entrepreneur Visa

Spain entrepreneur visa is a visa or residence permit that allows you to live and work in Spain for two years. The type of activity you will start in Spain depends on your skill:

  • You are a worker doing inter-company business operations
  • Highly skilled professionals.
  • Entrepreneurs.
  • Researchers.

For an entrepreneur visa, the Spanish government is interested in Highly skilled workers or people with startup ideas.

Au Pair Visa

Spain Au Pair visa is a long-stay visa that comes under the work visa group. If you are a student and want to help a Spanish family with babysitting or housework, an Au pair visa is for you. But, you should fulfill a few requirements to get this visa. For example, you should be at least 17. You must be fluent in Spanish, English, French or German, and more.

Golden Visa

You can get a golden visa through investment. You should have at least:

  • Half a million EUR to invest in real estate
  • One million in bank deposit, or shares
  • Two million in public debt

A golden visa is one of the easiest ways to move to Spain. Its advantages are so many. You don’t have to live in Spain to renew the visa. With this visa, you can live through all Schengen Area and have a job in Spain.

After ten years, if you meet the requirements, you can apply for Spanish citizenship.

Working Holiday Visa

A working holiday visa is permission for young people to work and get experience as a holiday. Only the nationals of a few countries can apply for it. The maximum validity is one year, and you can not extend it.

C. Other

Non Lucrative Residence Permit

Spain Non-Lucrative Residence Permit or non-Lucrative visa is a permit to live in Spain without working. To apply for this visa, you should have enough funds to cover yourself in Spain without working. You should have a clean criminal record as well.

How useful was this article?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 3

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this article.