how to apply for South Korea Student Visa (D-2) Visa


In recent years, studying in South Korea has attracted the attention of many international students. With a literacy rate of 97.3%, this country has prestigious universities such as Seoul National University, Korea University, and Younesi University. All international students who intend to continue their studies in South Korea must obtain a student visa appropriate to their circumstances. A variety of study visas are issued in South Korea for a variety of purposes.

In this blog, we will describe the South Korea D-2 student visa, its requirements, processing time, application, fees, and other details.


What is a D-2 visa?

All international students who want to enter South Korea to complete their higher education need a D-2 visa. Holders of F, E, and A visas can enroll in a degree-seeking program at Korean universities. However, holders of B-type and C-type visas issued for short-term purposes cannot participate in any academic program.

D-2 visas are divided into several subgroups:


  • Associated degree (D-2-1)
  • Bachelor’s degree (D-2-2):
  • Master’s degree (D-2-3)
  • Doctoral degree (D-2-4)
  • A research study (D-2-5)
  • Exchange student (D-2-6)


Holders of the following visas cannot change the status of their permission to a student visa:


  • Group Tourism (C-3-2)
  • Medical Tourism (C-3-3)
  • General Tourism (C-3-9)
  • Industrial Training (D-3)
  •  Non-Professional Employment (E-9)
  • Vessel Crew (E-10)
  • Miscellaneous (G-1) visas


Holders of these visas must first return to their home country and apply for a South Korea D-2 student visa.

In the following, our main focus is on the D-2-1 visa.

What are the requirements of D-2 visas?

Applicants for South Korea D-2 student visas must provide the following documents:

  • Admission certificate issued by a Korean university.
  • Proof of student’s financial situation: bank statement or scholarship, etc.
  • Visa application form
  • A passport with a copy of the first page
  • Applicant’s Photo
    • Photo dimensions should be 3.5 by 4.5 centimeter
    • Its background must be white.
    • It must have been taken in the last six months
  • Student visa fee payment
  • ID card of the country of residence
  • Documents demonstrating your family relations
  • Korean language certificate (if required)
  • Invitation Letter from National Institute for International Education of Korea (NIIED) (if required)
  • Alien Registration Card
  • Business Registration Certificate from the relevant educational institution
  • Tuberculosis Test  Certificate: Citizens of countries listed must submit this certificate


Bangladesh Cambodia China East Timor India
Indonesia Kyrgyzstan Malaysia Mongolia Myanmar
Nepal Pakistan Russia Sri Lanka Thailand
Philippines Laos Uzbekistan Vietnam


  • More documents: Citizens of these countries may be required to provide the following documents:
    • Final Academic Credentials
    • Financial statement


Bangladesh China Egypt Ghana India Indonesia Iran
Kazakhstan Kyrgyzstan Mongolia Myanmar Nepal Nigeria Pakistan
Peru Philippines Sri Lanka Thailand Ukraine Uzbekistan Vietnam


Students are advised to contact the consulate or embassy in their home country before applying for a South Korea D-2 student visa. In some cases, further documents may be needed.


What is the process for applying for a South Korea D-2 student visa?

You must submit all of the mentioned documents to the nearest South Korean embassy and consulate in your home country. No appointment is required.

How much does it cost to apply for a student visa?

The visa application fee is 120,000 KRW, which must be paid by the applicant.


How long does it take to assess documents and issue the visa?

The processing time of documents depends on the workload of the embassy. But on average, it takes four working days to review the documents and decide on the South Korea D-2  student visa.


How long can a student visa holder stay in Korea?

The length of your stay in South Korea will depend on your studying program stated in the Admission Certificate.


Can D-2 student visa holders work in South Korea?

Yes, they are allowed to work under certain conditions. Students can only work after completing their first semester.


Can student visa holders enter and leave South Korea during their stay?

South Korea D-2 student visas are only issued as a single entry. Students must petition for an Alien Registration Card within 30 days of arriving in South Korea. With this card, they can travel outside of Korea during their stay and then return to continue their studies. The Immigration Office issues the Alien Registration Card.


Can Korean D-2 student visa holders bring their parents, spouse, or children to the country?

Holders of a Korean student visa can bring their spouse and children under 19 as a dependent. They must apply for an F-3-1 visa.


Let’s sum up …

In this article, we explained the details of a South Korea D-2 student visa, including the application process, requirements, costs, and validity. On the Visa Library website, you can learn about other South Korean visas as well as ways to immigrate to other countries. In case you have some experience, please write it down in the comment section. Your comments let the readers choose better and avoid mistakes. Conveying your experiences in comments is a great help for applicants.


How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 1

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Comments (4)

  • Akmal Reply

    Holders of a Korean student visa can bring their spouse and children under 19 as a dependent. They must apply for an F-3-1 visa.

    How to apply F-3-1 visa and how much the cost?

    May 20, 2021 at 12:01 pm
    • Visalibrary team Reply

      Your family can apply for an F-3-1 visa if they meet the eligibility criteria. However, they cannot apply online, and it’s obligatory to meet the embassy.
      The actual fee may alter. However, the processing fee is around 100,000 KRW to 30,000 KRW for a new Alien Registration Card and 3,000 KRW for delivery.

      May 22, 2021 at 2:38 pm
      • Arslan Reply

        So it means D-2-3 visa holders can only bring their kids and wife and they can’t Bring their parents. Right?

        June 14, 2021 at 3:05 pm
        • Visalibrary team Reply

          Hi there. Thanks for leaving a comment on our website. You cannot bring your family under a D-2-3 visa; however, parents of international students can accompany them to Korea under an F-1-13 visa, provided the student is studying in less than high school grade.

          June 15, 2021 at 9:01 am

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *