South Korea work visa requirements, South Korea Work Visa Cost


There are many different types of South Korea work visa that is defined for different purposes. For example, people who intend to work in the media, people who want to begin a startup, or people who want to work in the research areas must apply for a special visa. Despite the variety of work visas, the application process is often the same. In most cases, you first need a sponsor to get the necessary approvals for you. Then you can initiate the application process.

Here, we provide complete instructions on South Korea work visa types, the application process, work visa requirements, and costs to be paid.


South Korean visa application process

If you want to get a South Korea work visa, you will first need a sponsoring employer.

  1. The employer first files a petition to the Ministry of Justice (MSJ).
  2. The Ministry of Justice (MSJ) then examines the visa application and finally decides on the visa application.
  3.  If the organization approves the visa application, they will issue a Certificate of Confirmation of Visa Issuance.
  4. Finally, you must provide this certificate to the South Korean consulate in your country.


South Korea work visa requirements

If you want to qualify for a South Korea work visa, you must provide the following documents:


  • Visa application form which is completed and signed by the applicant
  • Applicant’s photo, which must be the size of a passport photo
  • Copy of passport and identity card
  • Your CV
  • Copy of your academic degrees
  • Employment contract
  • Description of work tasks
  • An invitation letter written by the employer
  • Company certification registration
  • Certificate of incorporation company
  • Evidence of company tax payments in previous years
  • The receipt of visa application fee


South Korea Work Visa Cost

The cost of applying for a South Korea work visa in US dollars is as follows:


Visa Types Cost (USD)
Multiple-entry visa 90
Double-entry visa 70
Visas for 90 days or less, single-entry 40
Visas for 91 days or more, single-entry 60

Types of South Korea work visa

  • The working holiday (H-1): This permission lets you stay in South Korea for a short time. Besides, you can do temporary work to cover your travel expenses. Just note that nationals of some countries can apply for this visa. Holders of this visa are also allowed to do limited jobs.
  • Work and visit (H2 Visas): This visa is issued as multiple entries. Korean citizens with foreign citizenship over the age of 25 can apply for this visa. Holders of this visa can only work in industrial areas. Foreign workers holding Working Visit (H-2) visas must also participate in the designated institutions’ training programs. The types of visas that fall into this category are family connection (H-2-1), parent/spouse of D-2 student ( H-2-2), Work and visit (by lottery) (H-2-5), Work, and visit (expired visa) (H-2-7).
  • International trade (D-9-1): Foreigners intending to participate in international trade or install, manage, and maintain the exported equipment must apply for this visa.
  • Technician (shipbuilding)( D-9-3): People who are invited to Korea to supervise the shipbuilding or industrial facilities can use this visa. This is issued as a single entry. Also, people who want to work in South Korea for more than 90 days must apply for an Alien Registration Card.
  • Individual foreign businessman (D-9-4): This permission is for people who intend to run a domestic business or company, provided that they can increase the amount of foreign capital under the Foreign Exchange Transactions Act.
  • Short-term News Coverage (C-1): People who cover and report news under:
    • A foreign media,
    • Newspaper,
    • Journals,
    • Broadcasting channel
  • Long-term News Coverage (D-5): This permission is for people who intend to stay in Korea for more than 90 days for news coverage and reporting.
  • Religious worker (D-6): People who want to participate in religious activities or social services in Korea must apply for this visa.
  • Short-term employee (C-4): People who intend to work for 90 days or less in areas such as commercials, modeling, lecturing, research, etc. can use this visa.
  • Jobseeker (D-10-1): This permission is for people who need to participate in research, technology/business, start-up, and job-seeking activities in South Korea.
  • Business startup (D-10-2): People who want to start a new business under certain conditions can apply for this visa.
  • Professor (E-1): People who want to do a research project or give a lecture in a specific field in Korea can apply for this visa.
  • Foreign language instructor (General) (E-2-1): This visa is issued to teachers of foreign languages in educational institutions, organizations, and broadcasting companies. The language must be the teacher’s mother tongue and he/she must also have a bachelor’s degree in language teaching.
  • Teaching assistant (E-2-2): People who want to teach a foreign language at the elementary, middle, or high school level can apply for this visa. These individuals must be able to meet the conditions defined by the Minister of Justice and sign a contract with the Education Ministry.
  • Foreign language instructor (by FTA) (E-2-91): Someone who intends to teach conversational language at a foreign language institute needs to apply for this visa.
  • Researcher (E-3): People who want to research in natural sciences or advanced technology must apply for this visa. The minimum requirement for this visa is to have a bachelor’s degree. They must also apply to teach their mother tongue.
  • Technical instructor/technician (E-4): People who are invited to South Korea to use their technical expertise in areas such as natural science and technology are qualified for this visa.
  • Professional (E-5): Individuals with an international degree in a specialized field, whose degree is recognized by the South Korean government, can apply for this visa.
  • Artists (E-6-1): People who want to work in the fields of art, music, literature, sports, and fashion must use this visa.
  • Hotel and adult entertainment (E-6-2): A person who intends to participate in performance or entertainment projects at hotel business facilities and adult entertainment facilities under Tourism Promotion Acts can apply for this visa.
  • Athlete (E-6-3): This permission is defined for people who want to work in sports fields.
  • Foreign national of special ability (E-7-1): The validity of this visa is three years and is issued to those who intend to participate in activities designed by the Minister of Justice. Note that these people need to be invited by a private or public organization.
  • Independent professional (by FTA) (E-7-91): People who want to work independently for a South Korean company under FTA can use this visa.
  • Special talent (F-5-11): People with exceptional abilities in the fields of:
    • Science,
    • Business,
    • Management,
    • Education,
    • Culture,
    • Art,
    • Sports
  • E-9 visa is for low-skilled foreigners: This visa lets foreign nationals to have a job in the fields of the following groups for 4 years and 10 months:
    • Manufacturing (E-9-1),
    • Construction (E-9-2),
    • Agriculture (E-9-3),
    • Fishery (E-9-4), and services (E-9-5)
  • Visa for the crew in ships (E10): People who intend to work in a South Korea ship need this permission. This visa is divided into three categories
    • Coastal crew (E-10-1),
    • Fishing ship crew (E-10-2),
    • Cruise ship crew (E-10-3).
  • Household assistant of a diplomat (F-1-21): People who want to work for a diplomatic office member in South Korea need this visa.
  • Household assistant of big investor (F-1-22): Those who work as a household assistant for an investor need this visa.
  • Household assistant of high-tech investor (F-1-23): People who want to work for advanced technology investors must apply for this visa.
  • Household assistant of professional (F-1-24): Those who intend to work for a prominent expert as a household assistant must apply for this visa.


Let’s sum up…

In the previous sections, we had a complete overview of South Korea work visa types, the application process, requirements, and costs. In other sections of the Visa Library website, you can learn about other South Korean visas as well as immigrant and nonimmigrant visas from other countries.

If you have experience in obtaining South Korean visas, let us know through the comments section. Sharing your experiences will help others to apply for a visa consciously.

We look forward to receiving your constructive feedback and suggestions.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 4.5 / 5. Vote count: 2

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Comments (5)

  • Brock Reply

    I am a household assistant. Under what visa can I travel to South Korea? Ps: my landlord is a diplomat.

    June 9, 2021 at 8:21 am
    • Support Reply

      If you will work for a diplomat as a household assistant, you can apply through an F-1-21 visa.

      June 9, 2021 at 8:22 am
  • Arata Oono Reply

    I became criminal in South-Korea, but I need a business visa. Who can help me?
    Arata Oono

    June 22, 2021 at 1:43 am
    • Visalibrary team Reply

      Hello there. Thanks for leaving a comment on our website. To apply for a business visa, you are going to need a clean criminal record. However, it also depends on the type of crime and the year. If 5 years have passed, you may be able to apply for a visa.

      June 22, 2021 at 12:27 pm
  • Ji-ho Reply

    I had no idea there is such thing as a Korea artist visa or E-6-1 in other terms. Thanks for the excellent information.

    July 26, 2021 at 3:30 pm

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *