Every year, many people travel to Australia for a variety of purposes. Statistics show that 970 people arrive in Australia every hour. Australia’s proximity to Asia, natural assets, and the high standard of living make it a desirable holiday location for those traveling overseas. Therefore, the international tourism industry in this country is significantly developing. If you intend to go to this impressive country, you should know that there is a wide range of visas defined for this purpose. The following visas are divided into the category of Australia visitor visa:
- Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601)
- e-Visitor (subclass 651)
- Transit visa (subclass 771)
- The visitor (subclass 600)
Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601)
This visa is a type of electronic and online travel authority that is similar to the United States ESTA and is available for nationals of several countries. The authority to travel to Australia is provided online through this visa. ETA 601 visa can be used for the following purposes:
- Spending the holidays in Australia or Cruise
- Visiting family and friends
- Attendance at conferences and seminars for business purposes provided that a particular organization does not pay the applicant
- To complete the training course, provided that studying is not the main reason for traveling to Australia
- Participation is voluntary and unpaid works
Visa holders can stay in Australia for 90 consecutive days. The Australia visitor visa duration is 12 months or one year. Therefore, as long as the applicant’s passport is valid, he or she can come and leave the country for one year until the visa expires. The list of permitted countries whose citizens can travel to Australia under ETA 601 visa is:
Applicants for this Australia visitor visa must:
- Have a valid passport and apply from outside Australia.
- Intend to reside temporarily in Australia.
- Meet the health requirements (you might have to do some health examination to prove your health status.)
The applicant should first complete the application form using personal information including full name, nationality, telephone, passport information, and address. There is no application fee for the ETA 601 visa. While applying, a reference number will be given so you can track the progress of your application via this number. The result of the application will be notified via email. If your visa is approved, it is recommended that you have a copy of the ETA 601 visa with you when in Australia.
It should be noted that the ETA 601 visa cannot be extended. An application for a new visa must be submitted if it expires.
This Australia visitor visa is attached to your current passport. You must apply for a new visa if your passport expires or you get a new one.
eVisitor (subclass 651)
Like the previous visa, an evisitor visa is also issued online to citizens of the European Union who intend to travel to Australia. This visa eliminates the need to go to the embassy and fill out paper applications. The purposes defined for this visa and its validity duration are similar to the previous visa.
- Apply from outside Australia (you must be outside Australia when the decision on the application is notified to you.)
- Have a valid passport from eligible countries (passport must be valid for at least three months from the date of arrival in Australia)
- Indicate the purpose of their trip to Australia
- Meet the health requirements (The applicant must not have a specific disease that jeopardizes public health and is a burden to the Australian community.)
- not having serious criminal records
The list of countries whose citizens can apply for this Australia visitor visa is as follows:
|Switzerland||UK – British Citizen||Vatican City|
The application procedure for this visa must be made online. A separate application must be made for family members, even those listed on the applicant’s passport. You do not need to pay any application fee for the Australian 651 visa. 90% of submitted applications will be processed and assessed within four days. It may take longer to evaluate an application for the following reasons:
- The applicant’s information is incomplete or incorrect.
- Not all required documents have been provided, or more information is needed.
- Verification of the applicant’s data may take time.
The result of the application will be notified via email. If you do not receive the response in your email, check your Immiaccount to be notified of the status of your application. If the visa is approved, you will be notified of the visa grant number, the start date of the visa, and its conditions. If the visa application is rejected, the reasons will be explained to you and whether you have a right to a review of the decision.
Other issues related to this Australia visitor visa include:
- The visa is linked digitally to the applicant’s passport, and there is no need to use a label.
- You must bring a copy of your visa with you when you arrive in Australia.
- Holders of this visa are advised to purchase appropriate health insurance to cover part of the costs of healthcare.
Transit visa (subclass 771)
This permit as a type of the Australia visitor visa allows travelers to transit within Australia by air or sea for up to 72 hours while on their way to their destination in another country. There is another type of transit visa (subclass 988) that is granted to Maritime Crew members and allows them to stay in Australia for up to 5 days from arrival by air to sign onto the ship of their destination. The applicant for this Australia visitor visa must:
- be outside Australia while applying and
- have a confirmed booking to travel to another destination in 72 hours of arrival in Australia and
- have the correct documents to enter that country
- be outside Australia if he intends to join the crew of a non-military ship, and have the necessary crew documents
- Meet the health requirements
- Meet the character requirements (The applicant must pass a character test that, based on the results of the test, the Australian government can decide whether the applicant is allowed to enter the country.)
Citizens of some countries, such as Canada, Denmark, and Singapore, do not need a transit visa. Therefore, before applying for a transit visa, it is recommended that you visit the official website of the Department of Home Affairs to be informed of the list of these countries.
The applicant must provide the following documents when applying for an Australian Transit Visa are:
- A certified copy of the National Identity Card
- A certified copy of the pages of the current passport showing photo, personal details as well as the dates of passport issuance and expiry
- A photo of your head and shoulders against a plain background
- Provide evidence such as a visa indicating that you will be traveling to a third country
- If you are applying for a sea crew transit visa, you must provide proof that you are working on the ship, as well as travel documents such as seafarer identity documents.
- The employer must provide a letter containing the applicant’s name, the name of the company employing the applicant, the name of the ship the applicant will join, the date of entry into Australia, the port, and the date the applicant will join the ship.
All documents must be translated into English through an accredited translator. Visa applications and documents must be submitted online via Immiaccount.
Other issues related to the transit visa as a type of Australia visitor visa are:
- There is no application fee for this visa.
- The applicant can stay for no longer than 72 hours.
- The applicant can go sightseeing or visit family or friends before departing.
- Transit visas cannot be extended, and if you intend to stay longer, you must apply for a new visa.
The Australia visitor visa subclass 600
All passport holders can apply for a visa to enter Australia for leisure purposes.
The Australia visitor visa fee is around AUD145 per person. The applicant might also have to give money for health tests, police certificates, and biometrics. Holders of passports from India, the People’s Republic of China, and the United Arab Emirates can request fast-tracking, which costs about AUD 1,000.
The purposes defined for this visa are:
- Visiting family members and family
- Touring Australia as a tourist (for purposes other than business or medical treatment)
Under this visa, a person is not allowed to work in Australia. Necessary documents and conditions for obtaining the Australian visitor visa 600 are:
- Valid passport: If you intend to change your passport, do this before applying for the Australia visitor visa.
- A national identity card if you have one.
- If you are applying for fast-tracking, you must submit Form 1472-Business visitor and request for Tourist streams Fast-track processing.
- Organizing the health examinations
- You should indicate that you have enough money to cover your expenses in Australia.
- You must prove that you do not intend to reside in Australia by documents such as a work contract or your significant assets in your home country.
- If your family or friend has invited you to Australia, you must provide a letter about their relationship with you and the length of your stay. If they cover your travel expenses, you must provide proof of their funds.
All documents must be translated into English. A Visa application can be sent online or on paper. If you apply online, the documents must be scanned in color. 90% of submitted applications will be processed and assessed within 32 days. Fast-tracked applications are usually processed within two business days.
Other issues related to the Australia visitor visa are:
- The applicant can not stay in Australia longer by extending this visa. He/she must apply for another visa.
- A separate application must be made for members of the family, even those listed on the applicant’s passport.
Let’s sum up…
In the previous sections, we reviewed the most common visitor visas in Australia. on the Visa Library website, you can find information about other Australian visas as well as immigration ways to other countries. In case you have some experience, please write it down in the comment section. Your comments let the readers choose better and avoid mistakes. Conveying your experiences as comments is a great help for applicants.