A Transit Visa (subclass 771) allows you to stay in Australia for 72 hours. You also do not have to pay for this visa. Citizens of some countries do not need a transit visa that we listed in the next sections. In the following sections, we describe the application process, requirements, processing time, and other details you need to know before applying for this visa.
What is a Transit visa (subclass 771)?
This transit visa allows people to stay in Australia for 72 hours. Of course, citizens of some countries do not need a transit visa. Holders of Maritime Crew visas can use this visa to enter Australia and join their non-military ship.
If you want to get this visa, you should pay attention to the following:
- You can not stay in Australia for more than 72 hours under this visa.
- You can enter Australia by air to join your non-military ship as a Maritime Crew visa holder (subclass 988)
- The cost of applying for the transit visa is free.
- When applying for this visa, you must be outside Australia and have proof of entry into another country.
- You must be outside Australia when the Australian Government declares the outcome of your visa application.
- You cannot renew this visa. If you want to stay longer in this country, you must apply for another visa.
- You can not bring your family members to Australia under this visa. Also, your children listed on your passport will not be able to come to Australia on your visa. Everyone wishing to enter Australia must apply for a separate visa.
- To be qualified for the transit visa, you must be able to meet all the requirements.
What are the requirements for an Australia transit visa (subclass 771)?
- You must leave Australia within 72 hours; otherwise, you will not be eligible for this visa.
- As long as you are in this country, you will be responsible for your medical expenses. So you can get health insurance and cover some of these costs.
Some countries have reciprocal treatment agreements with Australia. These countries are:
- Because Australia has high health standards, people traveling to Australia must meet health requirements. However, people who plan to stay in this country for less than six months do not need to be examined unless they have special conditions.
- All Australia visa applicants must meet their character requirements. You may not meet your character requirements if you have substantial criminal records or immigration detention.
- If you or your family members owe money to the Australian Government, you must pay it back before applying for a visa.
- If you are going to Australia by air and intend to join the non-military ship crew, you must have a Maritime Crew visa.
- People over the age of 18 must sign the Australian Values Statement and confirms that they comply with Australian law when applying for a visa.
- Australian Government might not give this visa if it is not in the best interests of an applicant under 18.
- Please note that citizens of these countries do not need to obtain an Australia transit visa:
|Chile||Croatia||Cyprus||Czech Republic||Denmark||Estonia||Federated States of Micronesia|
|Nauru||Netherlands||New Zealand||Norway||Oman||Palau||Papua New Guinea|
|Singapore||Slovakia||Slovenia||Solomon||Islands||South Africa||South Korea|
|Spain||Sweden||Switzerland||Thailand||Tonga||Tuvalu||United Arab Emirates|
|United Kingdom (including its colonies)||United States of America||Uruguay||Vanuatu||Vatican
The following people also do not need a transit visa:
- People who live in Hong Kong and have a Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) passport or a British National Overseas (BNO) passport
- People who live in Taiwan and their passports are issued by the authorities of Taiwan
- Indian official passport holders
Holders of diplomatic passports can transit without a visa, but this does not include the following countries:
|Democratic People’s Republic of Korea||Egypt||Iran||Iraq||Jordan|
|Morocco||Pakistan||Russian Federation||Saudi Arabia||Sierra Leone|
How to apply for Australia tourist visa?
Before receiving a transit visa, first, check whether you need to obtain this visa or not. As mentioned, citizens of some countries do not need a transit visa.
Remember that you do not need a migration agent to obtain an Australia visa. But if you have to go to an immigration agency, there is a list of registered agencies on the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website.
An Australia transit visa applicant must provide the following documents:
- A certified copy of the current passport so that the photo, personal information, date of issue, and the expiration of the passport are visible.
- Documents of the second country you plan to travel to, such as a ticket and visa, must be provided
If you need to apply for a Sea Crew Transit, you must provide the following documents:
- Certified copy of National Identity
- A certified copy of your current passport
- A photo in which your head and shoulders are visible in the plain background
- Documents determining your employment on the ship you are joining in Australia
- Documents about your travel arrangements to another country
- Documents that confirm the ship you are going to join is not a military ship
- Travel document, including your seafarer’s identity document
- Your shipping agent must issue a letter containing the following information:
- Your name and the name of the person you are replacing
- The name of the ship
- Your arrival date in Australia
- The port and date you will join the ship.
- If the person writing this letter is not the ship’s owner, a copy of the request for the crew from the ship’s agent in this country. The request should contain the details of all crew members applying for visas.
Note that all non-English documents must be translated into English. Translators working in Australia must be certified by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters. If you are translating outside of Australia, be sure to use a certified translator. The translator’s name, address, contact number, and translator’s work experience must also be included in each translation.
You must apply for a visa online. Therefore, you must first create an account in ImmiAccount. Then upload your documents through this account.
- The Australian Government will let you know when they have received your application. You should check your application’s progress regularly through the account because you may be asked to give more details in some situations.
- You may also be asked for biometrics (fingerprints and photos). Besides, if you make a mistake in completing the visa application form, you will be notified to correct it.
- Remember to report any changes in contact number, email address, change in the family relationship, and your child’s birth date.
You must be outside Australia when the Australian Government decides on your visa application. The result of the visa application will be notified to you in writing. You will also receive the following information if you are issued a visa:
- Your visa grant number
- The date your visa starts
- Your visa conditions, if applicable
- If your application is refused, you are notified of the reasons. The Australian Government will also let you know if you have the right to request a decision review.
How much does it cost to apply for this visa?
If you are applying for an Australia transit visa, you should know that you will not need to pay a visa application fee.
What is the processing time for an Australia transit visa?
75% of the submitted applications will be processed within 27 days.
How you got your transit visa: first-hand experience
Have you ever received an Australia transit visa? If your answer is yes, you can tell your story to our other readers to clear the way for them. Because your experiences are unique, conveying them can be a huge help to others.
Let’s sum up …
We provide up-to-date information on Australia transit visa based on questions asked by our users. On the Visa Library website, you can find information about other Australia visas as well as visas from other countries. You can also ask your questions through the comments section, and we will respond as soon as possible.