Detailed tips On Japan Highly Skilled Professional Working Visa

Do you know anything about Japan Highly skilled professional working visa and who can get this visa? If you have an academic degree with acceptable work experience and are known as a professional in your field, you have a good chance to obtain this visa. Holders of this visa have many benefits and can provide a secure life in Japan for themselves and their families. In the following, we will share everything you need to know about this visa, including the application process, documents, fees to be paid, and many details.


What is the Japan Highly skilled professional working visa?

Japan Highly skilled professional working visa for professionals such as engineers, scientists, or lawyers can work in this country. In recent years, many talented people have immigrated to Japan under this visa. On the other hand, the Japanese government is eager to issue more work visas to professionals every year.

This visa helps professionals to more easily travel to Japan to work and even obtain residency in this country. Therefore, a points-based system is defined that assesses whether the person who intends to receive this visa is eligible or not. This evaluation system has been introduced since May 7, 2012.

The goal of the Japanese government is to strengthen the immigration of skilled people to Japan under this visa and compensate for the shortage of labor in the country. In addition, by granting this visa to foreign nationals, the innovation in various industries will be enhanced.

Two levels are defined for Highly-Skilled Professional working visas:

  • Highly-Skilled Foreign Professional (i)
  • Highly-Skilled Foreign Professional (ii)

Once you have received the Highly-Skilled Foreign Professional (i) visa and stayed on this visa for three years, you can then apply for the Highly-Skilled Foreign Professional (ii) visa.

Holders of Highly-Skilled Foreign Professional visas have significant advantages in comparison with regular working visa holders:

  • Holders of this visa can do various activities in Japan. For example, they can participate in academic activity at the university and start your own research-related business at the same time.
  • Holders of these visas can stay in Japan for five years and then extend their stay.
  • Holders of these visas can apply for permanent residence in this country after ten years. If you score 80 or more on your scoring sheet, you can apply for permanent residency after one year.
  • Their spouse can also come to Japan on a “Spouse” visa and find a part-time job. They intend to work full time; he or she must change their visa status. In addition, the accompanying spouse is allowed to work even if he or she has no specific academic background or work experience.
  • Note that Highly-Skilled Foreign Professional visa holders can bring their parents, even their non-biological parents, to Japan, and this is another advantage defined for these people. To be able to bring your parents to Japan, you need to consider the following:
  • Your annual income must be at least ¥ 8 million.
  • Your parents have to live with you.
  • You can bring your parents or your spouse’s parents to Japan under this visa.
  • Holders of this visa can bring their domestic workers with them to Japan.



What activities are Highly skilled professional working visa holders allowed to do?

  • Advanced academic research activities: Research, research guidance, or education based on a contract entered into with a public or private organization in the country.
  • Advanced specialized/technical activities: Work requiring specialized knowledge or skills in the natural sciences or humanities based on a contract entered into with a public or private organization in the country
  • Advanced business management activities: Operation or management of a public or private organization in the country


Who can apply for a Highly skilled professional working visa?

Eligibility for this visa is determined based on the point evaluation system. The score you will earn is determined by the following factors:

  • Academic background
  • Years of professional experience
  • Annual salary
  • Certifications
  • Japanese language ability


You must obtain at least 70 points to be eligible for this visa. In this link, you can learn how your score is calculated. There are some qualifications and awards that will help you get bonus points.

Other tips to keep in mind are:

When applying for a Highly skilled professional working visa, you must be outside Japan and submit the application form to the nearest Japanese consulate.

You can apply for the visa from inside Japan if you are currently on another work visa or have a student visa. If you are in Japan, you must also submit your visa application to the nearest immigration office.


How to travel to Japan under a Highly skilled professional working visa?

The application process for this visa is similar to other Japan visas. The application steps are:

  1. You must first apply for a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and submit a Point Calculation Form. You must then provide supporting documents related to the Point Calculation Form. For more details on how to calculate your score, you can refer to this link.
  2. If you can pass the assessment, you will give a Certificate of Eligibility. If this certificate is not issued, you will probably not be able to apply for a visa.
  3. If the COE is issued, you can apply for a Highly skilled professional working visa.



Can other visa holders apply for a Highly skilled professional working visa?

Yes. If you are currently in Japan and have a work visa other than this work visa or a student visa, you can change your visa status.

In this case, you must submit the Point Calculation Form and submit supporting documents to the Regional Immigration Bureau for evaluation. You must also complete and submit an application to change your status-of-residence.


How can I extend my visa?

If you intend to renew this visa, you must re-submit the Point Calculation Form along with the supporting documents to the Regional Immigration Bureau.

How you got your Highly skilled professional working visa: First-hand experience

Have you had the experience of getting this visa? If your answer is yes, we invite you to share your valuable experience with our readers regarding your work records and other factors that have made you eligible for getting acceptable points.


Let’s sum up …

In the previous sections, we explained the application process for this visa, the forms that must be completed, how to earn points, and many more. You can also access up-to-date information on other Japan visas and visas from other countries on the Visa Library website. Do not forget that you can leave your questions in the comments section so that our experts can answer them as soon as possible.