If you work for two years under a Long Term Skill Shortage Work Visa in New Zealand, you will be eligible for a residence visa. Besides, having a continuous job and a minimum income of NZ$ 45,000 per year are other requirements for obtaining this visa. There are many benefits to achieving this visa. Unlimited residency in New Zealand and working in any job for any employer, you like is one of them.
In this blog, we intend to address essential details about the Long Term Skill Shortage List Resident Visa.
What are the requirements of a long term skill shortage list resident visa?
Applicants for this visa must meet the following requirements:
- Passport: your current passport.
- Photo: one photo, if you apply online or two photos if you have a paper submission.
- Birth certificate: (the original or certified copy of it).
People over the age of 17 must present a police certificate from:
- Their country of citizenship
- The country they have lived in for 12 months or more within the last ten years.
It should not be more than six months since the issuance of the police certificate when you apply. The police certificate must also be translated into English. You should visit the official New Zealand immigration website if you want to understand how to get a police certificate. By entering your country and nationality, you will learn which organization you should go to to obtain a police certificate.
It is vital to have a chest x-ray and some medical examinations to prove your health.
4. Current work visa:
you must :
- Show your current Long Term Skill Shortage List Work Visa
- Have held it for at least 24 months
5. Ongoing employment:
Your employer must provide a letter if you intend to apply for a long term skill shortage list resident visa. The content of this letter should include the following:
- Working hours
- Whether your role is continuous
It is mandatory to present the employment agreement, which is drafted under the New Zealand labor law.
6. Minimum income:
Your minimum wage should be NZ$ 45,000 a year. In this minimum income, items such as health insurance, uniforms, and accommodation are not considered. To get a summary of your earnings, you must contact the state organization of Inland Revenue.
7. Occupational registration:
In some cases, there is a provisional or full registration for your job. If you must apply for occupational registration, contact the registration authority for your occupation. You can go here to find your occupational registration.
When you apply for the Long Term Skill Shortage List Resident Visa, you must be in New Zealand.
What are the levels of the application process for a residence visa?
We summarized the application process of the long term skill shortage list resident visa in three general steps:
- Gathering the documents: You must prepare the documents mentioned in the previous section.
- Application submission: The applicant must complete the Resident Application form (INZ1000). You can go to New Zealand’s official immigration website to download this form.
- Waiting for a decision: During this time, New Zealand immigration may ask you for an interview. Throughout the interview, the immigration officer wants to make sure that the information you provided is accurate and correct. Your statements will help New Zealand Immigration to make the final decision on your application.
There are two ways to apply for long term skill shortage list resident visa:
- Online submission: The applications can be submitted online. Sending online can speed up the processing process. To submit an online application, you must go to the official website of the New Zealand government and create an account. Then send the documents along with your photo.
Once you send your application online, you will no longer need to follow up. The New Zealand government will review your documents, and they will contact you if necessary.
You need to log in by your RealMe® account to track your request. If the status of your application is “Submitted,” it means that it is ready for processing.
- Paper submission: If you cannot apply online, you must submit your documents to the New Zealand Immigration Office or Visa Application Center.
The following will be considered regarding the long term skill shortage list resident visa:
- The applicant must meet the requirements set out in the New Zealand Immigration Instruction.
- Whether he/she is a genuine applicant
How much does it cost to apply for the long term skill shortage list resident visa?
New Zealand immigration has considered NZ$ 1,800 to apply for the visa. It should be noted that this fee cannot be refunded, even if your application is rejected. The Immigration levy is also included in this application fee.
How can the applicant pay the fees?
Payment methods are:
- Credit card: You can pay using a Visa Card or MasterCard. When New Zealand Immigration receives your application, your payment will be taken. On the day of receipt of the application, you must have sufficient funds available.
- Debit card: Payment can be made by a debit card. When New Zealand Immigration receives your application, your payment will be taken. On the day of receipt of the application, you must have sufficient funds available.
- Bank cheque: bank cheques must be made payable to the New Zealand Immigration Service.
- Personal cheque: If you pay by a personal check, your application will be suspended for up to 10 working days until the check is cleared.
How long does it take to issue the Long Term Skill Shortage List Resident Visa?
The processing time for 90% of the completed applications is 13 months.
What are the benefits of having the long term skill shortage list resident visa?
- Work: with this visa, you can work with any employer you like. You can also choose any job you want, without any restrictions.
- Study: Once granted this visa, you can pursue any study program you like.
- Travel: As long as your permission is valid, you can travel in and out of New Zealand. For this purpose, you have to apply for:
- A Permanent Resident Visa
- A variation of the travel conditions would allow you to return to New Zealand at a later date.
**Your visa will expire if you are outside of New Zealand when your travel conditions expire.
**Your travel conditions will expire two years from the first arrival in New Zealand as a resident.
If you intend to travel, your visa must be in a valid passport. If your passport expires, you must transfer your visa to a new passport before traveling. For this purpose, you should consider the following:
- Send your old and new passports to the New Zealand Immigration Service.
- Fill out the Application for Transfer or Confirmation of a Visa form (INZ1023).
- Pay the transfer fee.
Can the visa holders bring their family members to New Zealand?
If you intend to bring your family members to New Zealand under the long term skill shortage list resident visa:
- Your relationship with your children and partner needs to be proven.
- Your dependents have to meet the identity, character, health, and English language requirements for this visa.
New Zealand’s Immigration defines the partnership between the opposite sex or the same sex in three ways:
- Two people who have been legally married
- Two people who live together as a couple but are not married
- The civil union between couples of the same sex or couples of different sexes
You as a partner and a visa holder must:
- Be at least 18 years old. People under the age of 18 must submit their parents’ consent.
- Meet each other before applying for a visa.
- Not be close relatives.
You need to show that you are in a genuine and stable relationship. New Zealand Immigration focuses on the following to assess your partnership:
- How long have you been together?
- How long have you been living together as a couple?
- Do you support each other financially?
- Do you have common property?
- Do other people recognize your relationship?
- Do you share household chores?
Regarding Long Term Skill Shortage List Resident Visa, New Zealand Immigration only considers single children as dependent. Children can either be included in your visa application or apply for a visa based on their relationship with you. Also, children will not be eligible for a work visa.
For resident visa
|The age of the child||Your child is dependent if|
|17 or under||They are single|
To prove the language level, family members must present the results of one of the following valid tests. The results of the tests must be no more than two years old when your application is processed.
|Test||The minimum score (overall score)|
|Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based Tes (TOEFL iBT)||35|
|International English Language Testing System (IELTS)||5.0|
|Cambridge English B2 First (FCE)||154|
|Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)||36|
|B2 First for Schools (FCE for Schools)||154|
|Occupational English Test (OET)||Grade C in all four skills|
Let’s sum up …
In this blog, we covered the application process for the long term skill shortage list resident visa, the requirements, the fees, and more. On the Visa Library website, you can learn about other New Zealand visas as well as ways to immigrate to other countries. In case you have some experience, please write it down in the comment section. Your comments let the readers choose better and avoid mistakes. Conveying your experiences in comments is a great help for applicants.