A New Zealand tourist visa is issued to foreigners who want to learn about the culture, scenery, and friendly people of New Zealand. Travelers under this visa can visit New Zealand for the following purposes:
- Business negotiation
- Visiting families and friends
This blog reviews essential details about New Zealand tourist visa requirements, fees to be paid, application procedure, and processing time.
What is a New Zealand tourist visa?
As mentioned, all foreigners need a tourist visa to travel to New Zealand. However, people in some countries can travel to New Zealand without a visa. These countries are:
|Estonia — citizens only||Finland||Germany||Greece||Hong Kong||Hungary||Iceland|
|Ireland||Israel||Italy||Japan||Korea — South||Kuwait||Latvia|
|Qatar||Romania||San Marino||Saudi Arabia||Seychelles||Singapore||Slovak Republic|
|Slovenia||Spain||Sweden||Switzerland||Taiwan||United Arab Emirates||United Kingdom|
|United States of America||Uruguay||Vatican City|
Citizens of these countries must obtain an NZeTA instead of a visa ( New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority).
What are the New Zealand tourist visa requirements?
As mentioned, this visa is issued to people who intend to enter New Zealand to visit this country as a tourist or meet their families or friends. In addition to these activities, the holder of this visa can study for up to 3 months. This visa is valid for nine months. You can include your partner and children to this visa. Applicants for New Zealand tourist visa must submit the following documents:
- Passport validity must be 6 months longer than the date of entry into New Zealand.
- Two photos with white background and dimensions of 35 by 45 mm
- New Zealand tourist visa application form: visa application form INZ 1017
- Cover letter explaining the intention to travel to New Zealand
- Applicants for a New Zealand tourist visa must prove their intention to return to their home country.
- Trip itinerary with plane tickets
- A bank statement that shows the amount of transaction during the last six months
- Income Tax Returns in the previous three years
- If the applicant is employed, he has to demonstrate the following documents:
- Salaries received over the past three months
- Leave letter issued by the employer
- If the applicant is the company owner or self-employed, he must show the following documents:
- Company registration documents
- Company financial documents
How to petition for a New Zealand tourist visa?
There are two ways to apply for this visa:
1. Online submission:
New Zealand tourist visa applications can be submitted online. Sending online can speed up the processing process. To submit an online application, you must visit the official website of the New Zealand government and create an account. Then send the documents along with your photo. You can pay your application fee by a credit card.
Once you send your application online, you will no longer need to track. The New Zealand government will review your documents, and you will be contacted if necessary.
You need to login by your RealMe® account to follow your request. If the status of your application is “Submitted,” it means that it is ready for processing. You need to login by your RealMe® account to follow your request.
2. Paper submission:
If you cannot apply online, you must submit your documents to the nearest New Zealand Immigration Office or Visa Application Center.
The following will be considered when processing the documents:
- The applicant can meet the requirements set out in the New Zealand Immigration Instruction.
- Whether he/she is a genuine applicant
- The details of the documents indicating the kinship will be examined if the applicant has a relative or family member in New Zealand.
How much does it cost to get a tourist visa?
New Zealand tourist visa fees include the following:
- Application fees for a tourist visa range from NZ$ 150 to NZ$ 190. However, the applicant must pay additional fees:
- Immigration Levy: The applicants must pay $NZ 21 as immigration levy. This cost is spent on improving the circumstances of immigrants in New Zealand. It also helps attract more immigrants to this country.
- International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy or IVL: Payment of this fee by applicants for a tourist visa will help the New Zealand government to strengthen its tourism infrastructure. Applicants must pay $NZ35 as IVL.
How long is this visa valid?
This visa is valid for nine months in 18 months. This period is calculated backward from the last day you intend to be in New Zealand.
How long does it take to assess the documents and issue a visa?
The New Zealand tourist visa processing time depends on the embassies’ workload and when the application is submitted. For example, between November to March, the number of submitted applications is high, so the processing time is longer. But on average, it can be said that 90% of completed applications will be processed within 36 working days.
How can this visa be extended?
In the following conditions, a New Zealand tourist visa holder can extend this visa for another three months:
- The applicant needs more time to complete his tourist trip.
- The holder of a tourist visa cannot leave the country for reasons such as illness or accident.
- The applicant has applied for residency for the first time.
Thus, the validity of this visa will be 12 months in 24 months. If you have recently visited New Zealand for 12 months, you must stay outside of New Zealand for 12 months before applying for another tourist visa.
Remember to leave the country before the visa expires. The expiration date of the visa permission is indicated on the visa label or in the visa letter.
Will a New Zealand tourist visa holder be allowed to work under this visa?
No. If you intend to work in this country, you must apply for a work visa appropriate for your circumstances. Also, if you plan to do business while you are in New Zealand, you must apply for a business visitor visa.
Which training courses are allowed for the tourist visa holders?
Applicants are allowed to choose courses that:
- The Ministry of Education must approve the training course.
- The provider of this course must be a signatory of the Ministry of Education’s Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students.
Let ‘s sum up…
We tried to provide classified information regarding applying for a New Zealand tourist visa alongside the form, fees, and requirements. On the Visa Library website, you can learn about other New Zealand visas as well as ways to immigrate to other countries. In case you have some experience, please write it down in the comment section. Your comments let the readers choose better and avoid mistakes. Conveying your experiences in comments is a great help for applicants.