Since Germany is at the heart of Europe, it’s a frequented transit country. In some flights, passengers have to change their plane in one of the German airports to reach their destination. The citizens of some countries need a visa to do so. This visa gets called the Airport Transit Visa, also referred to as the “A” visa. The “A” visa is a stamp/sticker on travelers’ passport. In this blog, we will cover who needs and does not need Germany Airport Transit Visa, requirements, application, fees, validity, FAQs, etc.
Who Needs a Germany Airport Transit visa?
An airport transit visa allows you to get out of the plane in one of the German airports, stay there for 24 hours at most, take another flight that will take them to their destination country.
The list of the countries that need an Airport Transit Visas to pass through one of its airports is as follows:
North America Africa
If your transit time is not longer than 12 hours, then you will not need a German transit visa.
Exemptions of Germany Airport Transit VisaThere are some nationals of the mentioned list that don’t need a German transit visa if they have one of these visas:
- A valid US visa
- An expired or valid Schengen country visa issued by the US
- A valid visa for a Schengen Member State:
- Have a valid passport from the following countries:
- Have Turkish Service and Official passports
- Jordanian nationals who have a visa to New Zealand, Israel, or Australia.
- The partners, child, or family of an EU/EEA/EFTA national.
- The people who have a British “Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National
- Have Diplomatic Passports.
What are the Required Documents for a Germany Airport Transit Visa ApplicationThere are some required documents for every German visa. You can see the list of them in this blog.As well as the necessary general documents, these are the required documents you need to apply for a Germany Airport Transit visa:
- The Application form of German Transit Visa. It should be only in German or English. The form for this visa is the same as a German Schengen Visa.
- Two passport photographs.
- Valid passport. It must be valid at least three months after the date you transit through Germany. It must have no less than one blank page.
- A copy of your passport data page. (in A4 PAGE)
- A declaration of Information Accuracy.
- Travel/flight reservations and complete travel itinerary.
- Proof you have bought travel insurance.
- The visa of the country you are traveling to in case you need one.
The Required Documents According to Employment StatusEmployed:A letter from your employer that verifies:
- the date, you got hired
- the beginning of a vacation.
- Registration document of your company.
- Biz-File issued by ACRA
Student:A university letter.The Required Documents for Minors:
- Birth certificate
- School letter
- Parent’s marriage certificate (the originals with one copy).
- The application form must get signed personally by parents at the Embassy.
You have to submit the photocopies of all these documents. Keep in mind to pay the visa fees.
What are the German Transit Airports?There are more than 50 airports in Germany. But, just six of them have an international transit area. So you could only use a German transit visa in one of these airports:
- Frankfurt Airport.
- Munich Airport.
- Hamburg Airport. 4.30 am – 11.30 pm.
- Düsseldorf Airport. 6.00 am – 9.00 pm
- Cologne/Bonn Airport. 4.30 am – 11.00 pm.
- Berlin Airport. 6.00 am- 11.00.
Where Can You Apply for a Germany Airport Transit Visa?For a Germany Airport Transit Visa you have to apply to your country:
- Germany Embassy
- Germany consulate
You must not submit your application earlier than six months of your transit time in Germany.Remember to keep the receipt of paid fees. Without it, your application won’t get processed.
Germany Airport Transit Visa FeeYou have to pay a fee for every type of visa. So is the Germany Airport Transit Visa. The fee is 80 EUR.
Let’s sum up …
In this blog, we explained all information you need about the Germany Airport Transit Visa:
- The list of the countries that need an Airport Transit Visas to pass through one of Germany airports
- Countries that are exempted from Germany Airport Transit Visa
- The required documents for this visa, etc.
Millions of people pass through one of Germany’s airports every year. May next time you will be one of them.To find out more about the visas that suit you, go through the menu of the site. You can check the Visa Library to find more information about other countries’ visas.In case you have some experience, please write it down in the comment section. Your comments let the readers choose better and avoid mistakes. Conveying your experiences as comments is a great help for applicants.
*Must have a travel document for a refugee that has been issued by Egypt, Lebanon, or Syria.
|Bissau||Ivory Coast||South Sudan|
|Ghana||Republic of Congo