If your New Zealand Resident Visa has expired, you can apply for a Second or Subsequent Resident Visa. This visa’s validity is also unlimited, and you can work and live in New Zealand under this visa.
In the following, we will discuss the visa application process, requirements, fees to be paid, processing time, and other details.
What is the Second or Subsequent Resident Visa?
If your New Zealand Resident Visa expires, you can apply for a Second or Subsequent Resident Visa. Your eligibility depends on how long it’s been since your Resident Visa expired and your obligation to New Zealand before that. The validity of this visa is unlimited. You can also bring your partner and children aged 24 or younger to this country under this visa, provided they have entered the original residence application. Keep in mind that you need to apply for this visa before traveling to New Zealand.
What are the requirements of the Second or Subsequent Resident Visa?
- You must provide your identity documents, such as your photo and passport. It is mandatory to provide two photos. If you send the original passport, your application will be processed faster.
- To prove your good character, you must complete the Application from a Resident or Former Resident Visa Holder. You do not need to submit the police certificate for this visa.
- Your residence visa must have expired in order to receive this visa. The reasons for your visa expiring must be one of the following:
- You have left New Zealand after your travel conditions have expired
- When your travel conditions expire, leave New Zealand.
You do not need to show proof of your Visa resident unless you have been asked to do so by a New Zealand Immigration.
- When your resident visa expires, you must be eligible for a permanent resident visa or variation of travel conditions.
- Partner and dependent children must be included in your original residence application. You should consider it when completing the Application from a Resident or Former Resident Visa Holder.
- Non-principal applicants can only petition for a second or subsequent visa in their own right (and not based on the qualification of the main applicant) if an exception applies.
- If you have a partner who has New Zealand citizenship, you can apply for a second or subsequent resident visa if both of the following conditions are met:
- You were given a resident visa based on your partnership with a New Zealand citizen
- You have been living with your partner for one year or more.
You must provide the following documents:
- Evidence that your partner has supported your application in writing
- You have a stable and genuine relationship together
How to apply for the Second or Subsequent Resident Visa?
You must first complete the Application from a Resident or Former Resident Visa Holder. Then submit the completed form, visa application fee, and supporting documents to New Zealand Immigration.
New Zealand Immigration will review your application and decide to grant the visa.
How much does it cost to apply for this visa?
To be able to get this visa, you have to pay a fee as an application fee. This fee is non-refundable. This means that whether you receive your visa or your application is rejected, this fee will not be refunded to you.
The fee you have to pay depends on the country where you are applying. So for detailed information on what you have to pay, you should refer to New Zealand Immigration.
What is the processing time of Visa Second or Subsequent Resident?
90% of the applications sent for this visa will be completed and processed within 69 days.
Let’s sum up …
In the previous sections, we explained the Visa Second or Subsequent Resident application process and reviewed its requirements. Classified information on New Zealand visas, as well as visas from other countries, is available on the Visa Library website.
If you have already received a Second or Subsequent Resident visa, you can share your experience with our other readers through the comments section because conveying your experiences is a very valuable help to those who intend to apply for this visa. You can also ask other questions through this section.