New Zealand is one of the countries that offers a range of student visas for international students with different conditions. The Student MFAT-funded NZ Scholarship Visa allows international students to study through scholarships. Foreign Affairs and Trade provides this scholarship.
We explain the requirements for an MFAT-funded NZ Scholarship Student visa, the application process, fees to be paid, how to renew, work permit, and other details.
What is MFAT-funded NZ Scholarship Student Visa?
If you intend to study in New Zealand using a scholarship provided by Foreign Affairs and Trade, you must apply for this visa. Holders of this visa can study some special courses in schools, tertiary (after secondary school), and the English language. However, visa holders cannot bring their dependents to New Zealand under this visa. Their family members must apply for their own visas based on their relationship with you.
The validity of this visa is up to four years, and you must return to your home country before your visa expires. Remember that after returning to your home country, you must stay there for at least two years to apply the skills you have learned in civil society or private business organizations.
You must study full time in your program and approved education provider specified in your visa and be able to make significant progress. You can only be absent if you have a reasonable reason.
What are the requirements for the MFAT-funded NZ Scholarship Student Visa?
To be eligible for the MFAT-funded NZ Scholarship Student Visa, you must consider the following:
- You must provide an acceptable photo to be qualified for this visa. If you apply online, you need one photo, and if you submit via paper submission, you need two photos.
- You must also provide a valid passport and a certified copy of it. If you submit on paper, you must provide the original passport, but if you submit your documents online, a certified copy of the passport is required.
- You need to prove your good health using medical examinations and chest x-rays. People who plan to stay in New Zealand for more than 12 months must submit a chest x-ray.
- To prove your good character, you must provide a police certificate if you are 17 years old or older. This certificate is required for those intending to stay in New Zealand for more than 24 months. To issue this certificate, you must go to some centers in your country or the country you have lived for five years. For detailed information about these centers, you can visit the New Zealand Immigration website and enter your country’s name to find the address of these centers.
- You must prove that you will honestly meet the requirements of your visa. You must provide supporting documents and indicate that you are traveling to New Zealand for your visa’s defined purpose, and you do not intend to stay in the country permanently. You must also indicate that you will comply with your visa conditions upon arrival.
- You must obtain the appropriate admissions before applying for this visa and then submit a letter containing the following information:
- Name of course and length of stay in New Zealand
- Evidence that your tuition fees are provided by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT)
- This letter should specify whether you will study part-time, full-time, or distance learning.
- If your course is more than one year, the date of the course’s scheduled holidays must be specified.
- If you are under 18 years of age, your stay must be in accordance with the ‘Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students.
- You must provide evidence that the MFAT covers your costs.
- If you have to pass practical work experience as part of your program, you must show that having work experience is required.
- You must also demonstrate that you will return to your home country after completing your studies.
How to apply for this visa?
Applying for an MFAT-funded NZ Scholarship Student visa can be done via online or paper submission. Keep in mind that online submission is faster and is the preferred method compared to paper submission. To apply for an MFAT-funded NZ Scholarship Student Visa:
- First, you need to prepare the documents mentioned in the previous section.
- You must then submit the documents online or to the nearest visa application center. You should also pay the visa application fee.
- The New Zealand Immigration Service will process your application and decide whether to issue a visa.
- You can enter New Zealand if your visa application is approved. Upon arrival in New Zealand, you must complete the arrival card to obtain an entry permit.
How much does it cost to apply for an MFAT-funded NZ Scholarship Student visa?
The fee you will have to pay to obtain this visa depends on the country where you are applying for the visa and your nationality. Visit the New Zealand Immigration website for details on costs.
Are MFAT-funded NZ Scholarship Visa holders allowed to work?
Holders of this visa can work 20 hours per week during the academic year. They can also work full time during the Christmas holidays if they are studying in one of the following schemes:
- Commonwealth Scholarships
- New Zealand Regional Development Scholarships
- New Zealand Pacific Scholarships
- New Zealand Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) Scholars Award
You will not be allowed to work if you are studying in one of the following programs:
- Short-Term Training Awards; New Zealand Regional Development Scholarships
- English Language Training for Officials
Note that you can never work self-employed in New Zealand. You are also not allowed to provide commercial sexual services or operate the business that offers these services.
Can MFAT-funded NZ Scholarship Student Visa holders travel to or from New Zealand?
You are allowed to travel in and out of this country as long as your MFAT-funded NZ Scholarship Student visa is valid.
Can visa holders extend their visas?
You need to return to your home country before your visa expires. You also have to stay in your home country for two years to apply the new skills you have learned. Therefore, you can apply for a visa again two years after completing your scholarship, provided you have written approval letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
If you need more time to complete your program, you can apply for a visitor visa. If you need to gain work experience, you must apply for a work visa.
What should be done after arriving in New Zealand?
After entering New Zealand, you must first complete the arrival card in order to receive an entry permit. This process is very fast. The immigration officer may ask you questions. You will have to answer the questions honestly and correctly. The immigration officer may also ask you additional documents to support your application. For example, you may provide documents that show how you plan to pay for your trip expenses.
You may not be issued an entry permit in the following cases if:
- Your current condition has changed
- You can not provide documents related to onward travel and your travel budget
- You do not collaborate with the immigration officers
Let’s sum up …
We explained the requirements, application process, costs, renewal procedure, and other details about MFAT-funded NZ Scholarship Student Visa in the previous paragraphs. You can learn about other New Zealand visas as well as visas from other countries in different sections of the Visa Library website.
If you have experience obtaining a New Zealand student visa, including this visa, share it with other readers through the comments section. Conveying your experiences can help others make better decisions. You can also put your questions and constructive suggestions in the comments section, and we can answer them as soon as possible.