Australian Resident Visa is issued to Australian citizens who intend to work and live in New Zealand. The validity of this visa is indefinite and has many benefits for the holders. Please note that Australian temporary residents cannot apply for this visa.
We will review the Australian Resident Visa process, your requirements, fees to be paid, and other details in the following.
What is the Australian resident visa?
Australian citizens and permanent residents can work and live in New Zealand with this visa. The validity of this permission is unlimited. If you want to get it, consider the following:
- As long as you can meet the entry permit and character requirements, you can travel to New Zealand without applying for a visa.
- Australian temporary residents cannot apply for an Australian resident visa.
- You can apply for this visa when you arrive in New Zealand.
- If you leave the country, your resident visa will expire, so you must apply for a variation of travel conditions before you can travel to New Zealand.
- If you are an Australian permanent resident, you need to have NZeTA before traveling to New Zealand. You will also be exempt from paying the International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL).
What are the requirements for obtaining this visa?
This visa is one of the visas that does not have very complicated requirements. The most important things to keep in mind are:
- You must provide a valid passport to be checked for your identity.
- You must be an Australian citizen or at least a permanent resident of the country to apply for this visa. New Zealand Immigration will check your passport to check your immigration or citizenship status. If you do not have a passport, you must prove that you are an Australian citizen or have one of the following visas:
- An Australian Permanent Resident Visa
- An Australian Resident Return Visa.
- Keep in mind that temporary Australian residents cannot apply for this visa.
- When you complete your entry card, you will be asked questions about your character. You cannot enter New Zealand if it is determined that you are a threat to New Zealand society, or have a history of sexual offenses or have an association with a gang. You should also not be deported from another country.
How do I apply for an Australian resident visa?
The steps to apply for this visa are:
- When you arrive in New Zealand, you must prove that you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident. You must also be able to meet good character requirements. If you can not meet the requirements, New Zealand immigration will not allow you to enter the country.
- If you are a permanent resident of Australia, you must obtain NZeTA before entering New Zealand but will be exempt from paying the International Visitor Levy (IVL).
- After arriving in New Zealand, you must first complete your arrival card. This card contains questions about your character and intentions for your trip to New Zealand. New Zealand Immigration first checks whether you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident. They then check to see if you can meet the requirements of a good character. An Australian Resident Visa will be issued to you if you meet all the requirements.
How much does it cost to apply for this visa?
Applicants for this visa are exempt from paying the visa fee.
What is the processing time of the Australian resident visa?
Once you arrive in New Zealand, you can get your visa if you meet all the requirements.
Let’s sum up…
We reviewed the Australian resident visa application process, the requirements, processing time, and other details. In different sections of the Visa Library website, you can find other types of New Zealand visas as well as visas from other countries. If you have experience in obtaining this visa, you can convey it through the comments section to help our readers make better decisions. You can also ask your questions via this section, and we will answer as soon as possible.