There are teaching possibilities available throughout Australia if you can teach a class. Teachers are needed for most school levels and abilities and all subjects, including art, science, math, and languages. This need has made perfect opportunities to immigrate to Australia as a teacher. While public and private school instructors are in high demand, there are other chances to teach adults and specialized subjects.
Not only does the position provide a rewarding and fascinating profession, but it also provides a road to permanent residency in Australia. In addition, all teaching positions are on the medium and long-term shortage list, providing opportunities for education and a career in Australia.
The average class size is roughly 24 pupils in Australia. Education is widely available throughout Australia, and reading, science, and math results are higher than the OECD PISA average. But, student engagement in these critical disciplines is dropping. Thus Australia is investing in the future by supporting the primary and secondary schooling sectors at a rate that is 6% higher than the OECD average.
This essay will look at how to immigrate to Australia as a teacher, if they are in demand, their salaries, steps for immigrating to Australia as a teacher, etc.
Are Teachers in Demand in Australia?
Yes. According to studies, despite increasing teachers, Australia cannot meet the increase in pupils. The government is struggling to hire new teachers; even when they hire new teachers, many schools say they can’t keep them.
ACARA discovered that Technology, Arts, Health, and Physical Education were among the lower specialties of new teachers. They advocated that “the proportion of teacher qualifications surpassed the proportion of student enrolment in Technology, Visual and Performing Arts, Health, and Physical Education.” As predicted, science, math, and English were the highest, but schools in many locations still need specialists in these topics.
To encourage teachers to stay in regional, rural, and remote schools, the Australian government has undertaken several initiatives at both state and federal levels. Teacher salaries in the state of Western Australia, for instance, can be increased by up to AUD $20,000, and they can earn six months of ‘long service leave’ after only four years of teaching (rather than the standard ten). As an additional transfer benefit, some states offer priority transfers to teachers who have taught in understaffed schools (often in urban areas) for a while.
Fields of Teacher Specialization in Education in Australia
Working as a teacher in Australia allows you to follow personal interests. In addition to the main courses of history, English, science, math, and social studies, you may look into:
|History||Art||Media studies||Foreign languages||Reading specialist|
|Speech therapist||Accounting||Business management||Chemistry||Statistics|
These can be studied as a minor in addition to your teaching major for your master’s degree. These possibilities make you more appealing for employment, especially if you have training in a popular field of study.
What are the Visas Options for Immigrant Teachers in Australia?
Not all sorts of Australian work visas are accessible for teachers. Primary school teachers, for example, have fewer visa choices than secondary school teachers, who are in great demand.
- Visa 190 is a skilled nominated visa with a points system. Visa 190 is a permanent visa for which you must be asked to apply. You indicate your interest in SkillSelect and wait for an offer or invitation.
- Visa 189 is a skilled independent permanent visa with a points system. You must be asked to apply after submitting an expression of interest on SkillSelect.
- Visa 491 is a five-year skilled work regional visa with a points system. You must be nominated to apply after submitting an interest application on SkillSelect.
- Visa 494 is a skilled employer-sponsored visa that is valid for 5 years. You must be under 45 and endorsed by an Australian employer.
- Visa 186 is a permanent visa route sponsored by an employer. Your potential employer must support you.
What are Australia PR Requirements for Teaching Occupations?
In Australia, all teaching grades, from preschool through secondary school, are included on the medium to long-term skills shortage list. This makes it an ideal alternative option for people looking to relocate and work permanently in Australia. However, the prospects for work and a permanent visa are considerably more significant for people who choose to stay and live outside of the major cities.
Australia’s visas are based on a points system. This means there are several methods you may boost your points to assist in guaranteeing your visa is accepted. Each visa has somewhat different criteria, but for the most part, these are:
- 25 points for ages 18 to 26.
- 30 points for ages 25 to 33.
- 25 points for ages 33 to 40.
- 15 points for ages 40 to 45.
English proficiency is required to work as a teacher in Australia. In Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States, you must sit the IELTS test if you haven’t studied for at least four years of undergraduate education. In addition, in reading and writing, you must score at least 7.0, and in speaking and listening, you must score at least 8.0. This will get you 20 points for “superior” English abilities.
Skilled employment experience outside Australia:
- 0 points for less than three years
- 5 points for three to five years
- 10 points for five to eight years
- 15 points for 8 years or more
Skilled employment experience inside Australia:
- 0 points for less than a year
- 5 points for one to three years
- 10 points for three to five years
- 15 points for five to eight years
- 20 points for eight years or more
- 10 points for stuff that is appropriate for teaching
- 15 points for a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from an Australian institution
- 20 points for A doctorate from an Australian university or an equivalent
You can also obtain an additional 10 points for special education that takes at least two years in Australia, like a master’s degree.
You can get an extra five points if you have an Australian degree, completed a professional year in Australia, are eligible in an Australian community language, or are studying at a regional university in Australia. If you are endorsed or sponsored for the job, you will receive an additional 15 points.
- 5 points if your spouse speaks English well and submits an application for the same visa as you.
- 10 points if you are single or your spouse is a citizen of Australia.
- 10 points if your spouse satisfies this visa’s skill, age, and English requirements.
How to Immigrate to Australia as a Teacher?
You can move to Australia to work as a teacher in two distinct ways.
- Apply through AITSL
- Apply through ACECQA
These two organizations are associated with Australia’s education system, and both offer possibilities for competent instructors, both domestic and international, to teach in the country.
How to Migrate to Australia as a Teacher through AITSL?
AITSL is an abbreviation for the Australian Institute of Teaching and School Leadership. To begin the application procedure, go to the AITSL website. There are many teaching-related materials available here, but the movie’s primary focus is on how to relocate to Australia to teach.
Following your arrival at the website, follow these steps:
- Select the Migrate to Australia option.
- There will be a pull-down menu. Select Applicant Portal.
- This will send you to a login page. However, to log in, you must first have registered. Click on it.
- You may now log in after creating a username and password.
- After that, you’ll be brought to an application dashboard where you may
- Examine critical information such as the application date and status.
- Select Start New Application.
AITSL Application Portal
You register online using the application portal. The information will be saved in its database so that it can simply examine the forms and documents you need to submit. They may also want an original copy in specific situations. You will also be provided a checklist of papers to submit or not submit during the application process. After everything is completed, the procedure typically takes 2 to 6 months. If everything goes well, you will be given an assessment certificate.
Following a comprehensive evaluation, you will be required to submit an Expression of Interest. Overall, it takes around 1 to 2 years from the beginning to the conclusion when you ultimately go to Australia to work.
Beginning the Application Process in AITSL
Applying for a visa to Australia through the AITSL is done through their website. The application procedure consists of six basic steps:
- Choose an occupation
- Enter the applicant’s information.
- Enter your qualifications here.
- Enter your English Language Proficiency here.
- Examine the application
What are the Steps for Applying to AITSL?
Here are the actions to take while applying through AITSL. You must first review those procedures to make the next critical decision:
- Do you wish to accept these actions on your own?
- Do you want to work with an agent to guide you through the process?
- Do you wish to talk to MARA (Migrant Agents Registration Authority) about it?
All applications are completed online, and the processes are simple enough that you may believe you can complete them without the assistance of an agent. However, for a fee, having an agency to assist you will make your life so much simpler.
The following are the actions you must take while applying through AITSL:
- Choose your profession. There are several types of instructors in Australia, as previously mentioned. During the application process, offecials you will ask you several questions that will assist the organizing organizations in determining what type of teacher you are.
- Read the guidelines. As with ACECQA, you will need to study the most recent edition of the application guidance to verify that you have all of the necessary documentation to support your application.
- Using an agent to apply. Complete the agent authorization form if an agent submits your application on your behalf.
- Prepare the prerequisites. A diploma and a confirmed transcript are two of these prerequisites. They will usually demand school-sealed educational background documentation. They will also investigate the school’s legitimacy and if you graduated in the year, you said.
- Read the user guide for the application portal. Read the applicant portal user guide to learn how to submit your application using the portal.
Who Can Apply through AITSL?
If you work in any of the following specified vocations, you can apply as a migrant teacher through AITSL:
- Teacher of early childhood (pre-primary school)
- Teacher of primary school
- Middle school educator
- Secondary school instructor
- Special education teacher
- Hearing-impaired educator
- Teachers of the visually impaired
- Teachers of special education
For instance, if you wish to apply as a secondary school teacher, you can use this tab in the application’s Select occupation section. Secondary school teachers instruct students aged 13 to 18 at secondary schools.
Applicant Details and Qualifications
You must provide various pieces of personal information under the application details tab, including the following:
- The year of birth
- The email address
- Home address
- Official passport name
- Teacher identification number
- If appropriate, the previous AITSL Assessment number
You will also be needed to verify your identification, which may include pdf, jpg, or jpeg versions, as well as other file types, of the following documents:
- A page for Passport Identification
- Other forms of identification
- If necessary, proof of name change.
- You will also be required to attach documentation proving your qualifications, such as work experience and other applicable awards and training.
For more details, click the link.
General Requirements Needed
You will know what more you need to upload after you create an account on the website. The webpage is really user-friendly. AITSL will require the following documentation from you:
- Educational prerequisites
- Professional prerequisites
- Skills assessment
- Demonstration of monitored teaching practice
English Language Proficiency
Taking and passing an English language competency exam is a key element of the application process. Obviously, great communication skills are required to be an excellent teacher in Australia.
To apply as a migrant teacher through AITSL, you must just take the IELTS English language exam. While alternative English examinations are available, such as the TOEFL, Cambridge, or PTE, the AITSL does not accept them in this circumstance. The IELTS English exam comprises four bands:
To be eligible for the AITSL, you must have the following scores:
- A minimum of 7.0 is required for reading.
- A minimum of 7.0 is required for writing.
- A minimum of 8.0 is required for speaking.
- A minimum of 8.0 is required for listening.
Having stated that, these IELTS are not insurmountable, and with the correct amount of drive and commitment, you can indeed study and revise for these examinations.
How to Migrate to Australia as a Teacher through ACECQA?
ACECQA is an abbreviation for the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority. You may access the website by clicking here. ACECQA is primarily responsible for overseeing the implementation of Australia’s National Quality Framework for children’s care and education.
You can start by taking the Migration skills examination on the website. This page is designed exclusively for persons seeking to enter Australia using a skilled migration visa.
Essentially, the migration skills evaluation considers the following:
- Qualifications in early childhood education and care
- Previous work experience
ACECQA will next evaluate your credentials to the assessment requirements necessary for the type of job you are applying for. Furthermore, ACECQA is the authority for the following jobs:
- Child care center director
- Child care provider
Who is Qualified for the ACECQA Migration Skills assessment?
According to the ACECQA website, you are eligible for a migration skills assessment if you satisfy the following requirements:
- Your occupation is included in the Department of Home Affairs’ Skilled Occupations list.
- Your job is related to your credentials.
- Your profession is linked to your job.
Steps in Applying for the ACECQA Assessment
The following are the actions you must take to apply for assessment:
- The ACECQA website offers two versions of the skills assessment application guidelines: one for child care center managers and one for child care workers.
- Create accompanying documentation.
- Submit an online application and pay the required costs.
If you believe you can achieve the criteria and are ready to go on to step 2, the following papers should be prepared:
- The legitimate passport’s identity page
- Proof of a name change (if applicable)
- Official documentation for your qualification/s
- Final academic document for your certification or qualifications
- Employer recommendation
- Working experience
- Form for applicant declaration and agreement
- Form for approved representative declaration and permission
- Declaration and agreement form for migration agents
- Evidence of proficiency in the English language
Following your application, which takes around 40 minutes, you will be required to pay an application fee of $1,100 AUD for a migration skills assessment.
Getting the ACECQA Assessment Results
ACECQA will send you an email 10 working days after you submit your application. The agency has promised to provide you with your evaluation findings within 60 days if you have completed all criteria.
You will get an email confirming whether or not your skills assessment was successful. This information will, after that, be required for your visa application.
ACECQA vs. AITSL: Which way is Better?
You should not mix up the two organizations. ACECQA is responsible for determining credentials and completing the conditions for employment in early childhood and care services.
If you are a primary school teacher in the Philippines who has been sponsored to teach in Australia and wish to teach in early childhood or preschool, having your prerequisites reviewed by ACECQA is the way to proceed.
Why are English Requirements so High for Immigrant Teachers in Australia?
As previously stated, the IELTS scores necessary for teaching are pretty high. In fact, they outnumber many other occupations. Why is this the case? The Australian government thinks that to deliver the correct information, teachers must be fluent in English.
After all, it is impossible to deny that a teacher spends significant time talking and communicating. You are talking with more than just kids; you are also communicating with:
- Other teachers
- Other Participants
Good communication skills are unquestionably necessary for instructors. Unfortunately, we cannot have an interpreter while we educate. As a result, a good IELTS score is essential. In reality, nurses are only required to have a score of 7, while other occupations can get away with a score of 6.5.
How Can Immigrant Teachers Find Jobs in Australia?
Hays Recruitment. Hays leads the Asia Pacific and the United Kingdom market and is a market leader in Continental Europe and Latin America. Hays works in corporate and governmental sectors, handling permanent, contract, and temporary employment.
SEEK. SEEK, founded in 1997, has become one of Australia’s most popular employment and career portals, where job seekers may search for opportunities based on pay, location, and classification.
Adzuna. Adzuna, like SEEK, provides a job-search engine, with users able to sign up for specialized email notifications and job postings and discover businesses or positions by industry or area.
Indeed: Indeed is a global employment-related web browser for job postings founded in November 2004 in the United States, with additional offices worldwide. The website collects job postings from thousands of websites, such as job boards, staffing agencies, organizations, and business career pages. Indeed also allows job searchers to apply directly to positions posted on its website and provides resume publishing and storage.
Teacher on Net. On Teacher on Net’s employment board, there are Lutheran, Catholic, and independent schools from Tennant Creek to Sydney. Furthermore, their search operates by defining job and candidate criteria across 50 major categories, allowing computers to match positions to applicants more precisely.
What are the Best Employers in Australia for Immigrant Teachers?
- Good Shepherd Lutheran College NT, Darwin
- Sheldon College, Brisbane
- Scotch College, Melbourne
- Good Start Early Learning, Brisbane
- Steiner Education Australia (SEA)
- Ballarat Clarendon College – Ballarat VIC
- Autism Spectrum Australia – Hunter Valley NSW
- Holy Trinity School
- Central Queensland University
What are the Best Cities for Immigrant Teachers in Australia?
Despite a minor decrease in recruiting in states such as Western Australia, teachers remain among the most in-demand vocations. Nursing jobs are still in great demand in the following cities as of March 2018. The options are Sydney, Hobart, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Perth, Melbourne, Adelaide, and Darwin.
Is It Worth Being a Teacher in Australia?
Many foreigners immigrate to Australia as teachers to pursue their careers and use the benefits of teaching in Australia. Competitive pay, flexible working arrangements, extensive compensation package choices, previous experience recognition, attractive leave allowances, and training and professional development opportunities are among the benefits of immigrating to Australia as a teacher. Here is a list of other benefits of immigrating to Australia as a teacher.
Teachers are in high demand
With an increased number of kids and a drop in instructors due to retirement, our community has never had more need for new teachers. With excellent job stability and many openings in this industry, now is a perfect moment to pursue teaching as a career.
Graduate teachers in Queensland have one of the highest beginning incomes in Australia. In addition, scholarships are available while studying and financial, personal, and professional rewards if you teach in high-priority rural and isolated places – a terrific incentive to be a teacher if you prefer country living.
Teachers inspire the next generation
As you promote kids’ interests and mold their curious minds, you will be at the forefront of shaping tomorrow’s leaders. In addition, teachers have an impact on their students’ lives by creating a love of learning and pushing them to do their best every day.
Teachers get to travel with job stability all around the world
Teachers are in great demand all across the globe, and UQ’s teaching programs are well-known.
Extend your education beyond the classroom by developing exceptional skills in communication and leadership applicable to a variety of sectors throughout the world. Employers seek the analytical thinking and problem-solving abilities that a teaching degree provides in all career sectors, not just teaching.
Teachers can assist students in reaching their full potential
Many of us recall our favorite teachers and their influence on our lives. Those instructors must have wondered, at some time, why they became teachers.
The lessons you teach your pupils in the classroom will help them reach their goals, and you will be able to send them out into society with the knowledge and abilities to contribute back to our communities.
You may help society by choosing a profession in education, and you will never stop learning. You’re always learning something, whether brushing up on your arithmetic abilities, reviewing historical events, or practicing your French. After all, why become a teacher if you don’t enjoy learning new things?
You may live a balanced lifestyle and pursue countless professional choices
With guaranteed holidays and the option to transfer locales depending on where your future leads you, teaching can bring some balance to your working life.
Your career does not end in the classroom. You can also advance into several leadership jobs with more education, such as:
- Department head
- Officer of education
- As well as several others
How Much is the Salary of Teachers in Australia?
In Australia, the average teacher income is $89,600 per year or $45.95 per hour. Entry-level salaries begin at $70,277 per year, with the most experienced professionals earning up to $160,949 per year.
This is competitive with the beginning pay of a graduate with a degree in engineering, business, or law and has been improving over the last 15 years.
Highest Paying Cities in Australia for Teachers
Salary (per year)
Melbourne City Center VIC
The Challenges of Immigrating to Australia as a Teacher
Immigrating to Australia as a teacher has its fair share of challenges for international teachers. Here is a list of those challenges that may help you prepare.
The IELTS Exam
The IELTS is the most challenging barrier for instructors looking to relocate to Australia. Teachers who wish to apply for a skilled visa must take the academic version of the test and score at least a 7 in reading and writing and an 8 in speaking and hearing. Other English tests, such as PTE, Cambridge, and OET, cannot replace IELTS.
Many instructors are fluent in English, yet when they take the IELTS, they fall short of the minimum score. This is why only a few instructors are seeking teaching positions in Australia. There are many teaching positions available in Australia, but fewer individuals apply than, for instance, accountants.
Getting the IELTS examination
Only applicants who graduated in the field of Education with their Bachelor’s degree from English-speaking countries, including Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the UK, or the US, are exempt from the IELTS.
Not all teachers are eligible for a skilled visa to Australia
Not all instructors qualify for migration. There are two long-term skill lists (MLTSSL) for potential applicants to review, the short-term skill list or STSOL and the medium and long-term strategic skills list or MLTSSL.
Early childhood, secondary school, and special needs teachers, hearing impaired teachers, sight impaired teachers, exceptional education instructors not otherwise trained, and university lecturers are among the jobs covered by the MLTSSL. As mentioned earlier, the jobs do not require sponsorship to relocate to Australia or are supported by certain states.
Teachers of TESOL (Teaching English to speakers of other languages), school principals, and vocational instructors fall under the STSOL. In contrast, primary school teachers, middle school teachers, education advisers, art teachers, dance teachers, music teachers, and private tutors are not classified elsewhere. To move to Australia, applicants on this list must be sponsored by a company or a state.
Assessment, application, assessment
A majority of the time, teacher candidates who complete their qualification and 45 days of supervised training can qualify for assessment through the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL).
Some qualifications, however, are not immediately recognized in Australia. Therefore, a candidate may be required to complete a skills assessment to evaluate whether their degree is similar to an Australian degree.
The evaluation might take up to two months. It may take longer if validating your degree with your institution is challenging.
The more points you have, the more likely you are to get invited
An applicant may have to wait up to two years for an offer or invitation to apply for a visa. This is because people with better Skilled Migration Points Test results are often given preference.
Those with more points will be invited first. For instance, those with 80 or 85 points will be preferred over those with 65 points.
Let’s Sum Up
To immigrate to Australia as a teacher and start your career, you must go through many steps of applying and assessing. Immigrant teachers who relocate to Australia must take a teacher skills evaluation administered by the Australian Institute of Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL). Before you may apply for a Skilled Visa, the AITSL will need to examine your qualifications against Australian Standards.
To be regarded as appropriately qualified as a teacher in Australia, you must have four years of tertiary education (full-time equivalent). As a result, you will have a Bachelor of Education (four years) or 3 years of university (any discipline) AND 1 year of PGCE/PGDE.
To learn more about other ways to immigrate to Australia based on your occupation, check out the sidebar on the right.