Russia issues work visas to highly qualified specialists (HQS) in foreign countries. Russia approves such visas based on invitations issued by the Ministry of Interior. HQS families working in Russia can also apply for this visa.
Qualified professionals can work in Russia for up to 3 years. This visa is a multiple entry work visa with no single or dual entry.
Generally, visa invitations for work permits and talented professionals are issued for the first time in about 20 days at an average cost of 35,000 ₽. The visa itself also requires time and money. However, you do not need to extend the validity of your qualified professional visa or leave the country to obtain multiple new work visas. It can be done in the regional department of the Russian immigration police.
- For foreigners with experience, skills, and achievements in a particular activity area, a salary (reward) of 2 million rubles or more per year is assumed. We will extend the year and renew without leaving Russia.
- Employers receive quotas and requests from the Employment Center and do not require them to obtain a foreign employment permit.
- Foreigners are not required to perform an analysis to obtain a medical certificate. Instead, medical insurance is sufficient for your initiative.
- Foreigners can obtain a residence permit for themselves and their families.
- Facilitates visa registration requirements—no need to register for a short stay (90 days) in other parts of Russia.
Foreigners can only obtain Russian visas from the Russian Consulate of the country. A citizen of a Schengen Agreement member country can obtain a visa belonging to other Schengen areas.
To get a third country Russian visa, you must submit a residence permit or work permit in this country. At the request of the Russian accreditation body, an invitation to a highly qualified specialist visa (multiple entry visa valid to 3 years) is issued under the work permit of the Russian Immigration Police.
Are you qualified for a Highly Skilled Specialist Visa?
You and your Russian manager should meet a few rules to apply for a work visa in Russia as a Highly Skilled Specialist. We have listed the requirements for a Russia Highly Skilled Specialist Visa and explain every detail about it below.
Requirements of Highly Skilled Specialist Visa
If you are moving to Russia as a Highly Skilled Specialist, you will need the necessary qualifications. Russian authorities specify the qualifications you must meet according to the position you are offered in Russia. These qualifications include education and practical experience. For instance:
- Director (General Director, Managing Director)
○ Higher Education
○ At least five years experience in senior/manager positions in Trade
- Deputy Finance Officer (Finance Director)
○ Higher Education (Economics)
○ Senior/Treasurer including Manager and at least five years experience in Accounting
- Deputy Commercial Leader
○ Higher Education (Economics)
○ At least 5 Years Experience in Senior Management / Management
- Vice President HR Director
○ Higher Education
○ HR Chief / in Management and Other HR Positions At least five years of experience
- Head of division (Trade)
○ Higher education
○ A minimum of 5 years of work experience in the industry
The Russian authorities have set a minimum salary for those who want to work as HQS.
As a stated rule, the monthly salary should be at least 167,000 rubles. In addition, some categories of HQS have special minimum salary requirements:
- Monthly RUB 58,500:
- ○ Dubna
- ○ Moscow (Zelenograd, Zelenograd Special Economic Zone)
- ○ Petersburg (Strelna, Neudorf Special Economic Zone)
- ○ Tomsk
- Federal City of the Republic of Cream For HQS employed in Sevastopol Monthly RUB 83,500.
- Employees participating in the Skolkovo project do not need a salary.
- For HQS working as academic research or teacher engaged in research or education Monthly RUB 83,500.
- HQS working as a medical, education, and research worker in the relevant field in the international medical cluster RUB 1 million annually.
How to apply for a Highly Skilled Specialist Visa?
If you are applying for a Russian visa as a Highly Skilled Specialist, please follow these simple steps:
- Check whether you are eligible for a Highly Skilled Specialist migration visa. Make sure you have the practical experience and training required for this visa.
- Get a job in Russia. Get work in Russia that meets your salary and position requirements.
- Receive an invitation (visa application). Work as a good professional in Russia and ask your employer for an invitation.
- Fill out the online application form. This form is located on the Russian consulate website
- Gather the necessary documents for your HQS visa.
- Submit your application. You must apply directly to the Russian consulate or visa processing center.
- Wait for visa processing. After completing these steps, wait for the application’s decision.
Note that the embassy may ask you to register additional documents.
Documents required for a Russian highly skilled expert visa
When applying for a Russian work visa with a highly skilled, you need to collect multiple documents for a Russian visa application. For instance:
Visa invitation from the Ministry of Interior of the Russian Federation
For these types of Russian work visas, only Interior Ministry invitations are allowed. Submit your invitation as a paper or electronic source. Your employer in Russia is responsible for receiving this invitation on your behalf.
Submit a letter created and signed by a Russian employer. It should provide detailed information about their company/organization and your position.
HIV Test (AIDS) Certificate
This test must be done within the past three months before application. On the day of application, it is valid for 15 to 30 days.
Health Insurance Policy
This requirement is only for EU member states, Iran, Iceland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, and Switzerland. The document must be issued by a foreign insurer or a Russian insurer and must include:
- Your name
- The date when the contract was signed
- Full details of insurance policy number and the insurance company
- For validity period-specific and double-entry visas, the policy must include the entire length of stay in Russia. On the other hand, multiple visas must consist of the duration of the first trip
- A list of medical services covered by insurance, including repatriation at the time of death
- The geographical area covers insurance (Russia must be included)
*For Australian citizens. Detailed autobiography only in Russian.
Russia Highly Skilled Specialist Visa fees
The cost of a Russian visa depends on several factors, including:
- The desired period for visa processing.
Visa fees differ due to your condition. Check out the Russian visa embassy and see how much you need to pay for a work visa in Russia with HQS, or make a phone call.
Russia Highly Skilled Specialist Visa processing time
The average processing time for a Russian Visa is ten days. However, the process can take 7 to 20 business days. If you need a visa within three business days, we can process it quickly. Applicants who want quick processing will have to pay a higher fee.
Acquiring a work visa for a Highly Qualified Specialist (HQS) is a short and quick interaction.
A work visa for Highly Qualified Specialists is substantial for three years and might be stretched out for the following three years, 30 days before the current visa lapse without leaving Russia. The Russian Migration Police of Moscow give HQS visas. To know more about other types of visas worldwide, check out the menu of the website.
Have you obtained an HQS visa? Please share your experience with us in the comments!