How to make a successful Netherlands Au Pair Visa


Do you wish to live in the paradise of tulips? The international atmosphere, great economy, and hospitable people are a great opportunity. If you can not have the means, Netherlands Au Pair Visa is your option. The visa provides you food, accommodation, and helps with your expenses. You just need to be qualified.

This text will explain are you eligible for Netherlands  Au Pair Visa or not, requirements, the application process, FAQs, validity, extension, and more to know.


What type of visa is an Au pair?

Netherlands Au pair visa is a long-stay visa. It permits you to stay in the country for up to one year. You may stay with a Dutch family and help them with the household or light services.

The family provides you an allowance, accommodation, and food. It’s a wonderful opportunity to:

  • Practice language
  • Learn new thing from a different culture
  • Make international friends
  • Explore new work or study opportunities.


Who is eligible for a Netherlands Au Pair Visa?

You need to fulfill the following eligibility principles to apply for Netherlands Au Pair Visa:


The least eligible age for an Au Pair visa is 18. Also, you can not be older than 31.

Host family

You need to find a host family that wants your service. Bear in mind that you have to do it through an Au Pair agency. The family must have enough funds to cover Au Pair’s expenses. It includes accommodation, food, and allowance. Also, there must be two people in the family.

Keep in mind that you become ineligible if the work you will be doing needs expert skills. Your job must be simple household work.

First time using

You can not use the Netherlands Au Pair visa twice. You only have permission to use it once.

Working rules

The Dutch rules oblige you to work for eight hours per day. The work must be household and light.

No family relationship

The Au Pair may not be a family member of the Dutch family. There mustn’t be a relationship to the first, second, or third degree.

Have enough funds

You, as the Au Pair, need to have some money to cover yourself. The Au Pair agency will inform of the basic required funds.

Au Pair agency

You can not apply for a Netherlands Au Pair visa on your own. You need to find an Au Pair agency that helps you with the process. Remember that the agency has to apply on your behalf.

No exchanges before

You, as the Au Pair, mustn’t have used an exchange program in the Netherlands before.


The requirements for a Netherlands Au Pair visa

You will not apply for the Netherlands Au Pair visa. The Au Pair agency you choose will apply on your behalf. So you need to send the requirements to the agency.

The requirements for a Netherlands Au Pair visa depends on your case and nationality. There is not a definite complete list. But a few items could include:


Your passport for the Au Pair visa needs to be valid for at least six months. It may not be older than ten years either.


You often need two photos of yourself. They need to be identical and taken in the latest three months to the date of application.

Proof to have enough funds

Provide a bank statement or sponsorship letter that you have enough funds for your expenses.

Previous passport

If you have had previous passports, provide a copy of them.

Clean record certificate

A clean record certificate from the Police in your home country is mandatory.

Health certificate

A doctor’s certificate that you have no serious health issues.


An insurance policy that is valid in the Netherlands and the entire Schengen Area.

How to apply for a Netherlands Au Pair visa?

The application process for a Netherlands Au Pair visa is as follows:


1. Who is eligible?

Haste makes waste. Before you follow the application process, determine if you are eligible or not. Not every applicant is qualified for a Netherlands Au Pair visa. The Dutch officials are strict with their principles. So ensure you can come up with them.


2. Au Pair agency

You need help to apply for an Au Pair visa. In fact, you need an Au Pair agency for your application. The agency will begin the procedure on your behalf. You can find a certified agency on the website of IND.

The agency will ask you for some requirements. You need to send them the list of supporting documents. You can see a list of them in the above section.

The agency will investigate if the Dutch family is eligible or not. It will receive documents from the family as well. Then, the Au Pair agency will send the documents to the IND. In the end, they will pay the fee for visa processing. It is €290 but can be subject to change.

In case you are from one of the countries that need MVV, the agency will apply for it. The below list of countries don’t need to apply for an MMV:

  • EU
  • EEA
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • Vatican City
  • US
  • South Korea

An MMV is a long-stay visa. You move to the Netherlands under it to receive your Residence Permit.

If you need an MMV, the AU Pair agency will apply for it. If not, it will apply for the Residence permit directly.


4. Moving to the Netherlands

If the IND approves the Au Pair visa, there are two cases. If you don’t need an MMV, you can move to the Netherlands and collect your residence permit there.

If you need an MMV, you need to visit the Dutch embassy or consulate in your home country to receive it. The MMV is permission to enter the country. You have to schedule a meeting with the Dutch embassy to get the MMV.

Bring your passport to the visa meeting so that officials stick the visa on it. It must hold validity for at least six months when you receive the MMV. The Dutch embassy will also take your biometrics.


5. Residence permit

When you enter the Netherlands, you have to apply for your Residence Permit. It is permission to stay in the country.

The IND will inform your AU Pair agency when you can get the Residence permit. You have to make an online appointment with the IND to receive the permit.


6. Register with the municipality

You also need to register with local municipality officials when you get to the Netherlands. You need a translated and legalized form of your:

  • Birth certificate
  • Application form.

Get the form from the municipality officials in person or from their website.


6. Medical test

When you receive your Residence Permit, you have three months to take a TB test. Schedule an appointment with the Area Health Authority (GGD) to make the arrangements. Remember that a few countries are exempt from taking a TB test in the Netherlands. You can find a list of them in the below section.


What countries are exempt from taking a TB test?

The nationals of a few countries need to take a TB test to stay in the Netherlands. They have to take the test inside the country. The below list of countries DO NOT NEED to take a TB test:


Algeria Comoros Mauritius Sudan
Benin Egypt Niger Togo
Burkina Faso Libya Rwanda Tunisia
Cape Verde Mauritania Seychelles



Armenia Iraq Maldives Syria
Azerbaijan Israel Mali Tadjikistan
Bahrain Japan Oman Taiwan
Brunei Jordan Qatar Turkey
Bulgaria Kazakhstan Russia Turkmenistan
China Kuwait Saudi Arabia United Arab Emirates
Georgia Lebanon Singapore Uzbekistan
Hong Kong Macau South-Korea Yemen
Iran Malaysia Sri Lanka



Albania Finland Liechtenstein Romania
Andorra France Lithuania San Marino
Belarus Germany


Luxembourg Serbia
Belgium Greece Malta Slovakia
Bosnia and Herzegovina


Hungary Monaco Slovenia
Croatia Iceland Montenegro Spain
Cyprus Ireland North-Macedonia Sweden
Czech Republic Italy Norway Switzerland
Denmark Kosovo Poland Ukraine
Estonia Latvia Portugal United Kingdom


South America

Brazil Ecuador Paraguay Uruguay
Chile Galapagos Islands Suriname Venezuela
Colombia Guyana Trinidad and Tobago


North America

Antigua and Barbuda Guatemala
Argentina Honduras
Bahamas Jamaica
Barbados Mexico
Belize Nicaragua
Canada Panama
Costa Rica St Kitts & Nevis
Cuba St Lucia
Dominica St Vincent and the Grenadines


Dominican Republic United States of America


El Salvador



Australia New Zealand Solomon Islands
Fiji Niue Tonga
Nauru Samoa Vanuatu


In case you have taken a TB test in the latest six months in the Netherlands, you are exempt from taking a new test.

Providing that you are from the EU, EEA, or Switzerland, you will automatically become exempt from the TB test.


How long is the Netherlands Au Pair visa valid for?

Netherlands Au Pair visa is only valid for one year. You have no authorization to stay longer. In case you wish to stay longer, you have to apply for a new Residence Permit.

The purpose of your stay may not be Au Pair. It could be work, study, or something like that.


How can I stay in the Netherlands after the au pair?

If you want to stay longer in the Netherlands, you need to apply for a new Residence Permit. You don’t have to apply for a visa. You need a Residence Permit. The purpose must be other than Au Pair. It could be work if you get a job offer from a Dutch employer.

You could also get acceptance from a Dutch university to get a studying permit.


Let’s sum up…

Do you dream to see the paradise of tulips? The Netherlands Au pair visa permits you to stay up to one year. It sounds enough to explore the country. You just need to be eligible.

This article told you who is eligible for an Au Pair visa in the Netherlands, requirements, the application process, validity, FAQ, and more.

If you need to find out about other Netherlands visa types, take a look at the left sidebar.

Visa applicants will be delighted if you share your knowledge or experience with visas. Let it light their way.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *