Are you looking for a complex holiday destination? History, Crystal clear lakes, unspoiled archipelagos, the country of lakes accompanied by modern architecture with landscape, etc. Finland’s tourist attractions will satisfy every kind of taste. The Northern Lights? That’s a different story. Whether you are into winter or summer sports in nature or just want to enjoy its beauty, you will find your interests in Finland. Please make a quick stop. You might need a visa to travel to Finland. In this blog, we will explain if you need a Finland tourist visa or not, requirements, application, validity, processing time, fees, etc.
Who Needs and Does not Need Finland Tourist visa
The Finland tourist visa also gets called a Schengen (tourist) visa. With this visa, you can enter the country to do sightseeing, visit family or friends. Whether you need a Finland tourist visa or not depends on your nationality. The EU, EEA, and all 26 Schengen states are free of Finland tourist visa. The nationals of these countries can enter Finland with their passport or travel document and stay up to 90 days. Apart from these countries, other countries are exempt from Finland tourist visa. If your nationality does not need a Finland short-stay visa, then you won’t need a tourist visa for Finland as well.
Finland Tourist visa Requirements
Once you find out you need this visa, you should collect the requirements. It is part of the application process. The requirements for a Finland tourist visa are as follows:
- Finland tourist visa application form. You can download it from the nearest Finish embassy or consulate you apply at. You should complete it with true and appropriate information. Please remember that the information you fill must match with your documents. Then print, sign, and date it.
- Two photos. They must be new, taken in the past three months with a clear background.
- Passport. It must be issued in the past ten years, not older. It should be valid for at least three months over the date you will leave Finland. At least, there must be two blank pages in it as well. If you have had any previous visas, provide a copy of them too.
- Cover letter. You state the purpose of your visit to Finland to the Finish government.
- Proof of accommodation. You should state where you will stay in Finland during our visit. It could be:
- A hotel reservation.
- Rental agreement.
- Staying with a host. He/she should provide name, address, and other requirements.
- Flight bookings and a Complete itinerary for the entire duration of your stay in Finland.
- Civil status proof—your marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, etc.
- Proof to have enough funds. You should verify to have enough money to cover your expenses in Finland.
- Health insurance. You must buy health insurance from an insurance company approved by Schengen countries. It must be valid in Finland and the entire Schengen states. It must cover your medical expenses for 30.000 EUR. The health insurance must also cover the transportation of the corpse if the tourist passed away.
- Supporting documents. The Finish embassy might ask for more documents, such as:
- Confirmation of hotel reservation
- An official invitation or a private invitation letter.
- Means of transport
- Financial means of support and assets
- Permission letter from both parents for minors.
Requirements based on your job
- Contract of employment
- Bank statement for the past six months
- Permission leave from your employer.
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
- A copy of your business registration/business license
- Bank statements of your company for the past six months.
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
- Proof of enrolment
- A no-objection letter from your school, university, or educational academy
- Bank statements from the last six months
Please note that the Finish authorities have the right to ask for more documents. The specific visa you apply for might require more documents as well.
Finland Tourist visa Application Process
You should download the Finland tourist visa application form from the Finish embassy or consulate you want to apply at. You should complete it with appropriate and true information. Please remember that the information you feel must be the same as your documents. Then print, date, and sign it.
2. Gathering requirements
Now collect all the required documents as we explained above. Please note that all Schengen states are strict with their laws and regulations. Don’t take anything easy. Incomplete documents are a major cause of visa denial.
3. Booking visa appointment
You must schedule an appointment to the Finish embassy, consulate or visa center approved by the Finish government. You could do it through their website or phone.
When the time of the appointment comes, attend it in person. Please don’t forget to bring the application and the requirements. It would be wise to wear something a bit formal.
Once you submitted everything, pay the visa fee. The fee for a Finland tourist visa is 80 EUR.
You also have to go through an interview. The visa officer will ask you a few questions about your background and the purpose of your visit; please try to be honest, friendly, and strong. You should remember that this interview will determine the fate of your application.
4. Waiting for processing
You have to wait about 15 calendar days for your application to get processed. Yet, it might take 30 or even 45 days. If your application gets approved, the Finish authorities will send you the visa attached to your passport. If it gets denied, they will send you a letter explaining the reason.
Finland Tourist visa Validity
Finland Tourist visa is valid for 90 days in six months. With this visa, you can also visit all the other Schengen states. Please note that the times you can enter and leave Finland depends on the type of visa:
Single-entry. You can enter Finland only for one time, stay up to 90 days and then leave.
Double-entry. You may enter Finland two times.
Multiple-entry. You have the right to enter Finland as many times as you want in 90 days.
How Long Does it Take to get a Finland Tourist visa?
The processing time for a Finland tourist visa is often 15 days. But it can take longer. Depending on the Finish embassy workload, your case, etc. the processing could take up to 30 or even 45 days.
Please note that the earliest time you can submit your application is six months, and the latest time is 15 days.
Can You Extend a Finland Tourist visa?
It is normally not possible to extend a Finland tourist visa. But, in particular emergencies, political turmoil, and humanitarian reasons, you can extend your tourist visa. Please note that you must have a compelling reason to convince the Finish authorities to extend your visa.
Can You Work in Finland Under a Finland Tourist visa?
You may not work in Finland under a tourist visa. You have no right to get involved in any paid job. Please keep in mind that the Schengen states are strict with their laws. If you break these laws and regulations, there will be heavy consequences.
Do You Have to Buy Health Insurance for a Finland Tourist visa?
YES. When you want to travel to one of the Schengen countries, you have to purchase health insurance. In this case, it must be valid in Finland and all the other Schengen states. The insurance must cover all your medical for 30.000 EUR.
Finland Tourist Visa Interview Questions
During your appointment at the Finish embassy, you have to go through an interview. The visa officer will ask you a few questions. Please remember that the destiny of your visa depends on this interview. Try to be honest, strong, and friendly. The questions you have to answer might include:
- The place you live
- Your children
- Previous studies
- Marital status
- Does anyone will travel with you
- Financial means
- The reason you have chosen Finland as a tourist destination.
- Will you return to your home country after your visit
- Your hobbies, etc.
Let’s sum up …
In this blog, we explained all about Finland tourist visa.
We explained if you need a tourist visa to Finland or not, requirements, the application process, validity, fees, processing time, FAQs, etc.
You can check the Visa Library to find more information about other countries’ visas.
In case you have some experience, please write it down in the comment section. Your comments let the readers choose better and avoid mistakes. Conveying your experiences as comments is a great help for applicants.