Everyone who intends to stay in Japan temporarily or apply for a tourist visa needs a valid visa. However, citizens of 68 countries are exempt from having visas. For example, citizens of most European countries, the United States, Australia, and Argentina can travel to this country as tourists without a visa. These people can stay in Japan for up to 90 days without a visa.
Having a Japan tourist visa is appropriate for the following purposes:
- Attend conferences or events
- Participate in cultural programs
- Meet friends and family members
We will review all you need to know about the Japan visitor visa, including the types, application process, form, the requirements, and other details.
Japan Visitor Visa: Application Process
The process for applying for a Japan Visitor Visa is as follows:
- First, you need to find the nearest embassy or consulate. If there is no Japan Diplomatic Representation in your country, you can go to neighboring countries and send your documents from there. You can also send your documents through travel agencies or visa application agencies.
- Prepare and submit the documents required to obtain a Japan visitor visa. You can submit the documents directly to the embassy in person or ask travel agencies to do it for you.
- Your passport will be returned after the embassy has processed your visa application. If the visa application is approved, it will be stamped in the passport.
- You have up to three months to travel to Japan after receiving your visa.
- Upon arrival in Japan, the Immigration Officer will ask you questions about the purpose of your trip to Japan as well as your documents and will then issue a Landing Permit. If your visa is issued as a single-entry, the visa will be revoked as soon as you receive the landing permit; otherwise, the visa will remain valid.
Japan Visitor Visa: Requirements
The documents you must submit to obtain a Japane tourist visa are:
- Passport: Please note that your visa must be valid for at least six months from the time you arrive in Japan. Your passport must also have at least 2 unused pages.
- Applicant Photo: You must have taken the photo recently.
- You must complete and sign the visa application form.
- You must prove that you can cover the cost of your trip to Japan (documents such as a bank statement or the letter from your guarantor).
- Your flight ticket
Japan Visitor Visa: Types
- Temporary tourist visa: Holders of this visa can stay in Japan for up to 90 days. This visa is suitable for purposes such as meeting friends or sightseeing.
- Visa for cultural activities: People who want to get acquainted with Japanese culture, skills, and arts can apply for this visa. The visa holder can participate in various activities, including Taiko (Japanese drumming), Ikebana (Japanese flower arranging), tea ceremony, judo, and aikido.
- Designated activities(Long Stay for sightseeing and recreation): This visa is valid for six months. If the applicant is eligible, this visa is valid for up to one year. You will need a Certificate of Eligibility to receive this visa. In order to receive this certificate on behalf of you, a person must vouch for you.
Let’s sum up…
In the previous sections, we reviewed the process of applying for a Japanese visitor visa, requirements, documents, and other details. In other sections of the Visa Library website, you can learn about different types of Japan visas as well as immigration processes to other countries.
If you have experience in obtaining a visa, share it with us through the comments section. Conveying your experiences will help others in getting a visa. We are also looking forward to receiving your comments and questions and will respond as soon as possible.