Those who marry Japanese citizens need a spouse’s visa to reside in Japan. In addition to the spouse of Japanese citizenship holders, their dependents can also use this visa to stay in Japan. A Japan spouse visa is a type of long-term visa that allows you to stay in the country temporarily. Before applying for this visa, you must first obtain a Certificate of Eligibility from the Japanese Immigration Service.
We will go through the visa application process, renewal, fees, requirements, and other details in the following.
What is a Japan spouse visa?
As mentioned, if you are married to a Japanese citizen, or if you are dependents of a Japanese citizen, you will need this visa to stay in Japan. In the following cases, you will need a spouse’s visa:
- If you marry a Japanese citizen
- If you are a relative of a Japanese citizen
- If you are the spouse or child of a foreigner living temporarily in Japan
It should be noted that a spouse’s visa is a type of long-term visa. So if you just intend to meet someone who lives in Japan, you will need a tourist visa. But if you want to join him, you must apply for this visa.
What are the Japan spouse visa documents?
Applicants for a spouse’s visa and his sponsor (family members) must submit the following documents for Japanese immigration services:
- The Eligibility Certificate
- Japan Spouse Visa Application Form: it should be completed and signed by the applicant.
- A valid passport with a copy of it
- Applicant’s photo: The dimensions of the picture should be 3 * 4 cm and in a white background. The face should be fully visible, and the photo should not be shaded. The photo must have been taken during the last three months.
- The applicant must provide a letter of Sponsorship or Guarantee.
- You must provide evidence that your family relationship with your sponsor is proven (such as a marriage certificate or birth certificate)
- Your sponsor should provide the following:
- His job, income and tax payments
- Copy of your sponsor’s passport if he/she is a foreign national
- Copies of your sponsor’s passport and Residence Card, If he/she is a Japanese national
How to do the Japan spouse visa application procedure?
Applying for a spouse’s visa in Japan is done in two general steps:
Step 1: Receive a Certificate of Eligibility
Step 2: Submission of the visa application
Applicants for long-term visas must first apply for an Eligibility Certificate. The Japanese Immigration Service issues this certificate. To receive this certificate, your sponsor must send your documents on your behalf. Keep in mind that obtaining this certificate does not mean getting a visa. The receipt of this certificate approves your qualification by the Japanese Immigration Service. To get a Japan spouse visa, the Japanese government must also certify your eligibility.
After obtaining the Eligibility Certificate, the visa application process will be a little easier for you. After the certificate is issued, your sponsor must send it to you. You must send this certificate to the Japanese consulate or embassy in your country with other documents mentioned in the previous section. For this purpose, you must first contact the nearest Japanese embassy in your area.
Some embassies do not accept visa applications from individuals. In these cases, you must send your documents via accredited travel agencies. In some situations, you might have to send more documents, or an immigration officer may interview you. After processing the documents and issuing the visa, you can receive your passport.
How long does it take to assess a Japan spouse visa application?
Processing time and issuance of the visa is 5 to 10 working days. It should be noted that the issuance of an Eligibility Certificate will also take at least three months.
What should Japan visa holders do after entering the country?
You will receive a landing permit as soon as you arrive in Japan. If your visa is a single entry, it will be invalid by obtaining a landing permit. If you have a multiple-entry visa with longer validity, its validity will remain after receiving the landing permit. Your entry permit will allow you to stay legally in Japan and will replace your Japan Spouse visa.
Residency card and Re-entry Permit are other documents you will receive once arriving in Japan.
If you arrive in Japan via Narita, Haneda, Kansai, or Chubu airports, you will receive your Residency Card as soon as you arrive. If you are coming to Japan from other airports, you must go to the local municipal offices to receive this card. Within 14 days of your stay in Japan, you must send your residential address to the local municipal office to be registered on your Residence Card.
If you want to leave the country and re-enter during your stay in Japan, you must apply for a Re-entry Permit. If your residence outside of Japan is less than one year, you must apply for a Special Re-entry Permit.
How much does a Japan spouse visa cost?
The fees for a Japan spouse visa are as follows:
- The single-entry visa cost is 3,000 Yen.
- 6,000 Yen must be paid for a double-entry or multiple-entry visa.
It should be noted that the visa application fee must be paid after the visa is issued.
How long is this visa valid?
The Japan spouse visa is usually valid for six months to three years. If you have been married for less than a year, your visa will probably be valid for one year. If your visa expires, you can apply for a visa extension. When you renew your visa, you will have a better chance to get a visa with longer validity.
How to do the Japan spouse visa renewal?
You must petition for an extension before your visa expires. To renew your visa, you must provide the following documents to the Immigration Office:
- Application Form for visa renewal.
- A valid passport
- The Residence Card
- Applicant’s photo
- You have to prove that you will be able to finance your expenses in Japan.
- A copy of the family registration of the Japanese national or foreigner citizen
- A copy of the Residence Card of the Japanese national or foreigner citizen
- Your sponsor’s profession and his income status must be specified.
- Letter of Guarantee from your sponsor
Is the holder of Japan spouse visa allowed to work in Japan?
If you are married to a Japanese national or a Japan Permanent Resident, you are permitted to work in this country. The dependent or spouse of a foreigner living in Japan has to obtain a work visa before they are employed in Japan.
Let’s sum up …
In previous paragraphs, we answered the most common questions about the application process of Japan spouse visa. On the Visa Library website, you can learn about other Japanese visas as well as ways to immigrate to other countries. In case you have some experience, please write it down in the comment section. Your comments let the readers choose better and avoid mistakes. Conveying your experiences in comments is a great help for applicants.