Every year, many young people travel to New Zealand. A work holiday visa provides an opportunity for young people aged 18 to 35 to go and work in New Zealand. This blog examines essential issues regarding a New Zealand working holiday visas, such as the application process, costs, and jobs that fall into this category.
What is a holiday work visa?
As mentioned, a New Zealand working holiday visa is issued to young people of a certain age who are citizens of some countries. Holders of this visa can travel and work in New Zealand for up to 12 months. Canadian youth and those from the UK can stay for up to 23 months under this visa. If your visa is valid for 23 months, a General Medical Certificate will be required. Applicants for this visa must prove that:
They have enough money to buy a return ticket.
Spending holidays is their primary purpose and working is a secondary intention.
Young people in the countries listed below can apply for a work holiday visa:
What are the requirements of this visa?
The applicants for a New Zealand working holiday visa must provide the following:
- A passport: its validity must be at least three months after the departure date from New Zealand.
- Age limit: Applicants must be at least 18 years old and under 30 years old (although in some countries applicants up to 35 are also eligible).
- Health and character requirements: Applicants must meet the health and character requirements.
- Applicants cannot bring their children with them.
- Applicants must prove that they can financially purchase a return ticket.
- Applicants must not have previously entered New Zealand under this visa.
- Spending holiday in New Zealand should be the primary goal, and working should be the second priority.
- In some cases, a chest-ray or medical certificate may be requested.
What are the steps of New Zealand working holiday visa application?
The first step in the application process of a New Zealand working holiday visa is to visit the New Zealand Immigration website. Then you need to create an account on this page. On the next page, you must enter personal information such as your name and your email address. After completing the form, click the Register button. If anything goes wrong during the process, change your browser to Firefox. New Zealand Immigration will then send you a confirmation email.
After creating an account, you must open the first page and log in with your username and password that you made in the previous section. When you logged into your account, under the subtitle: “Working Holiday Schemes,” click on “Click here to apply.”
The terms and conditions of this visa will be written on the new page that will be uploaded. You must choose your home country. You will need to complete four tabs during this process:
- Personal: there are three tabs on this section: Personal Details, Identification, and Occupation Details. Make sure the information on the Personal Details is complete. Some of the fields are mandatory, while others are optional in this section.
- Health: This section will determine whether there is a need to provide more documents related to the health condition. This section is fast if you do not have any medical issues.
- Working Holiday Specific
When all tabs show a tick, you can submit your application for a New Zealand working holiday visa. On the last leg of the process, you should review all the legal statements and tick the boxes before submission. The confirmation page has appeared, and you will be invited to pay the application fee. After payment, the application process is completed.
A working holiday visa is not inserted in the passport, as it is an e-visa. You must print your visa and show it to the immigration officer.
How much does it cost to apply for a New Zealand working holiday visa?
The visa application cost is $ NZ245. Note that your application is not assessed unless you pay for the visa application. It should be noted that citizens of some countries, such as the United States, are exempt from paying this fee.
How long does it take to evaluate a work holiday visa?
After paying the application fee, it usually takes 14 working days for the documents to be assessed and the visa to be issued.
How can you track the status of your visa?
To track the results of your application for a New Zealand working holiday visa, you must first log in to your account. Then select “My Application” from the right side of the page. After selecting this option, the status of your request will be displayed:
- Pending: This indicates that your documents have been received and are ready for processing.
- Approved: This indicates that your visa application has been approved.
What Jobs Can You find in New Zealand under Working Holiday Visa?
There are various job opportunities for holders of working holiday visa holders. Some of New Zealand working holiday visa jobs are:
- Hostel work
- Working at a shop
- Hospitality jobs such as work of serving in restaurants/bars/cafes
- Working in tourism
- working on a ski field
- Construction Work
How to extend a New Zealand working holiday visa?
You can extend their visa for another three months if you have completed at least three months of seasonal work in viticulture industries or horticulture. Seasonal work includes the following:
- Packing crops
Seasonal work does not have to be continuous or for the same employer. Keep in mind that you can only renew your working holiday visa once.
Let’s sum up
All you need to apply for a New Zealand working holiday visa, such as the cost, application process, and visa extension were described in this blog. On the Visa Library website, you can learn about other New Zealand visas as well as ways to immigrate to other countries. In case you have some experience, please write it down in the comment section. Your comments let the readers choose better and avoid mistakes. Conveying your experiences in comments is a great help for applicants.