If your spouse or parents have the L1 visa because of an intercompany transfer, you can join them by getting a USA L2 visa. The good news is that you are allowed to study during your stay in the United States under this permission. One of the benefits of the L2 visa is those holders of this visa can work in various activities. This article will discuss requirements, interview questions, employment authorization, and additional information on the US L2 visa.
What is a US L2 visa?
The US L2 visa is issued to spouse and children under the age of 21 who have an L1 visa. Parents, grandparents, and other family members who hold an L1 visa cannot apply for an L2 visa. These people can only visit them in the United States with a B2 visitor visa. Read B visas (B1, B2, B1/B2) for foreign tourists to know more about US B visa requirements. L2 spouses must be legally married to L1 visa holders. Their children must also be unmarried and under the age of 21.
Homosexual partners can also apply for an L2 visa. In the cases of multiple spouses, only one spouse can apply for this visa.
What are the US L2 visa requirements?
Applicants for the L2 visa must provide the following documents:
- Online Visa Application Form or DS-160: Keep in mind that after filling out this form, a confirmation page and a number will be issued that you must save.
- A valid passport: Passport validity must be at least six months longer than the visa expiration date.
- Applicant’s photo: US L2 visa photo specification must be under the defined standards.
- Marriage certificate (for spouse)
- Birth certificates (for children)
- The copies of the Form I-129 and Form I-797 issued to the holder of the L-1 visa
- The receipt of visa application fee
- Copy of passport holder of L-1 visa
- Copy of the L-1 visa
- A letter from the employer of the L-1 visa holder, which contains a description of the job
- A letter from previous employers of the L-1 visa holder
In addition to the marriage certificate, the following documents must be provided to prove that the marriage is genuine:
- Wedding Album
- Wedding invitation
- Honeymoon details
- Marriage registry documents
How to apply for a USA L2 visa?
The visa application process is very similar to the H4 visa. The steps for applying for an L2 visa are:
- Fill out the online form (DS-160): This form is available online, and you must carefully fill it out. Once the DS-160 form is submitted, you will be given a confirmation number and page that you must save.
- Pay the visa application fee: You must pay $ 160 as a visa application fee.
- Schedule an interview appointment: Everyone between the ages of 17 and 70 must be interviewed to obtain a variety of US visas. You must schedule an appointment for your interview. Once the interview is scheduled, you will receive a letter that you will need during the visa application process.
- Submit the mentioned documents
- Participate in the interview
What questions are asked in the US L2 visa interview?
Participation in the interview is part of the pre-visa process. The USA L2 visa interview questions include questions regarding:
- Previous residency in the United States
- Applicant’s relationship with the holder of the L-1 visa
- Applicant’s intention to travel to the United States
In most cases, L-2 visa applications are not rejected. After participating in the interview, you have to wait for the processing time and gain a response from the US Embassy.
How long does it take to assess the documents and issue a visa?
The average processing time for the US L2 visa is 15 days to 1 month. Factors such as embassy workload are essential in determining the processing time of documents.
How long is the L2 visa valid?
The conditions of the US L2 visa are subject to the terms of the holder of the L1 visa. The validity of the US L2 visa is the same as the validity of the L1 visa. An L1A visa holder can work in the US for up to 7 years, while an L1B visa holder can work for up to 5 years. If the L-1 visa expires, the USA L2 visa will expire.
How can the US L2 visa be extended?
If the L1 visa is renewed, the holder of the L2 visa will be eligible to be extended. To renew the visa, I-539 must be submitted to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services or USCIS (Form I-539, Application to Extend or Change Nonimmigrant Status). If the extension is approved, the dependents of L1A visa holders can stay and work in the United States for up to 7 years. The spouse and children of L1B visa holders can also stay in this country for up to 5 years.
Can L2 visa holders work in this country?
L2 spouses are allowed to work, but must first apply for employment authorization document. For this purpose, Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization) must be submitted to the USCIS. A copy of Form I-94 and two photographs must also be sent. If USCIS approves the request, employment authorization will be issued, and they can work in this country.
The issuance of an EAD is a process that takes 90 days. If you plan to work in the United States, apply for an EAD immediately upon arrival and do not wait for a job offer. So you will not need a job offer to apply for an EAD. This document is valid for two years. As long as the L-2 visa is valid, you can renew your work permit. If your EADt is approved, you must apply for a Social Security Number. Children who enter the United States on an L2 visa are not allowed to work.
Can L2 visa holders study in the United States?
Yes. Spouses and children who enter the United States under the US L2 visa can enroll in part-time and full-time academic programs. L2 spouses can also work while studying, but only if they have received an employment authorization document.
Can the L2 visa status be changed?
Since the terms of the L2 visa depend on the L1 visa, it is a bit difficult to change its status to other visas. To change the status of your visa, you can consider the following:
- If you are eligible for an L1 visa, you can separately apply for it.
- If you can find an employer or sponsor, you can apply for an H1B visa.
- If your spouse changes his or her visa from L-1 to H1B, then you must apply for an H-4 visa.
Can L2 visa holders apply for a Green Card?
As mentioned earlier, the terms of the L2 visa depend on the terms of the L1 visa. Therefore, if the L1 visa holder applies for a Green Card, you as a dependent of the L-1 visa holder will be eligible to apply for it. L visas are dual intent. This means to apply for them; you do not have to prove that you intend to return to your home country.
Let’s sum up …
In previous paragraphs, we answered the most common questions about the application process of the USA L2 visa. On the Visa Library website, you can learn about the other US visas as well as ways to immigrate to other countries. In case you have some experience, please write it down in the comment section. Your comments let the readers choose better and avoid mistakes. Conveying your experiences in comments is a great help for applicants.