US Visitor Visas are a type of nonimmigrant visa that is often issued for short-term purposes. Some of these golds are:

  • Traveling and vacationing in the United States
  • Meet family members
  • Participate in conferences or events
  • Perform medical treatments
  • Participate in cultural exchange programs
  • Transit through the country en route to another country

All you need to know about the US visitor visas including fees, the application process, extension process, and other details are here.

Get the FREE Cheat sheet for
US Visitor Visa

The Application Process for US Visitor Visas, Types of US Visitor Visas

The application process for US Visitor Visas

In most cases, the process of applying for a US visitor visa is similar. However, it should be noted that those who intend to enter the United States through the visa waiver program do not need a visa. These people must apply for the Electronic System for Travel Authorization. These people must also have an e-passport. The e-passport has an electronic chip, if scanned, shows the identity of the holder. Applicants for A and G visas also have slightly different application processes that we will address.

Most immigrant visa applicants must go through the following steps:

1. Complete the DS-160 form

This form is available online and contains questions about the purpose of your trip to the United States. After completing and submitting the DS-160 form, a confirmation page will appear that you must save.

2. Visa application fee

In most cases, US Visitor visa applicants must pay $ 160. Of course, applicants for A, G, and NATO visas are exempt from this fee.

3. Provide the necessary documents

All US Visitor visa applicants must also provide and submit other documentation in addition to the DS-160 form. Depending on the type of your intended visa, you can prepare a complete list of documents you need. But in general, it can be said that the following documents are required for applicants of all visas:

  • A valid passport
  • A photo
  • Visa payment receipt
  • Evidence that the applicant does not intend to reside in the United States (such as employment contract, list of assets in your home country, and family ties)
  • Details of your activity on social networks
  • Evidence that you can cover your travel expenses
  • A diplomatic note: Applicants for an A and G visas must submit a diplomatic note. This note describes the applicant’s position in the government and the purpose of his trip to the United States.

4. Schedule interview appointment

All US visa applicants must attend an embassy interview and answer questions of the consular officer. However, people under 13 and over 80 do not need to participate in the interview. A and G visas applicants do not need to be interviewed. However, in some cases, the consular officer may find it necessary to conduct an interview.

Types of US Visitor Visas

  • B visas: People who intend to meet their friends or family, spend holidays, and accomplish business negotiations can apply for B visas. The B1 visa is suitable for business visitors and those who plan to attend conferences and events. People who travel to the United States as tourists, or those who want to see their family members, must apply for a B2 visa. People coming to the United States for medical treatment must also apply for a B2 visa. Applicants for this visa must pay $ 160. Also, the initial validity of this visa is six months. The US visitor visa extension is a bit difficult because the applicant must provide compelling reasons. Besides, he/she has to pay $ 370.
  • US Visa Waiver Program: This program allows citizens of some countries to travel to the United States for up to 90 days without a visa. These people need a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization instead of a visa. Keep in mind that people coming to the United States under the US Visa Waiver Program cannot extend their stay.
  • Transit Visas (C visa): The US Transit Visa (C visa) is for those who cross the United States on their way to another country. Foreign travelers staying in the United States for a short term to reach a destination country must apply for a C1 visa. Foreigners entering the United Nations headquarters to reach their final destination need a C2 visa. Non-US government officials who need a transit visa to carry out their government missions must also apply for a C3 visa. The cost of applying for this visa, like other US nonimmigrant visas, is $ 160. However, people applying for a C2 visa are exempt from paying the visa application fee.
  • Transit Visas ( D visa): This visa is also a type of temporary residence permit in the United States that is valid for up to 29 days. This permission is for those who work in commercial sea vessels or international airlines. The cost of applying for this visa is $ 160.
  • J1 Visa: This permission is issued to those who want to participate in exchange visitor programs in the United States. The purpose of these programs is cultural and educational exchanges. The application process for this visa is slightly different. Applicants for a J1 visa must first find a sponsor. The application fee for this visa is $ 160. If your sponsor is a US government agency, you will be exempt from paying this fee. The validity of this permission depends on the duration of the program you are going to attend.
  • J2 Visa: J2 visa is issued to family members of J1 visa holders. The cost of applying for this visa is $ 160, and its validity depends on the validity of the principal visa holder.
  • Q1 Visa: This permission helps people to participate in employment and cultural programs held in the US. Holders of this visa can also attend educational programs conducted by the employer to extend their skills and become familiar with US culture. Applicants for this visa must be at least 18 years old and be able to convey their country’s cultural aspects.
  • Diplomatic and Official Visas ( A visas): US political visas are issued to ambassadors and government officials of a foreign country to travel to the United States for doing their missions. Applicants for diplomatic visas are exempt from paying the visa application fee. Their family members, as well as their personal employees, can apply for A-2 and A-3 visas, respectively.
  • Diplomatic and Official Visas (G and NATO visas): Employees of international organizations working in the United States need a G visa. The conditions of this visa are similar to the previous visa.
  • Border Crossing Card For Mexican Citizens: This permit is basically a combination of B-1 and B-2 visas that are printed on a laminated card that has special graphic specifications. Under this permit, Mexican citizens can enter the United States by land or sea. These individuals can stay in the United States for less than 72 hours for matters such as shopping or visiting.

Let’s sum up

In the previous sections, we reviewed the types of US Visitor visas, the costs, the application process, and their extension procedure. At the Visa Library website, you can learn about other types of US visas as well as immigration procedures to other countries. If you have experience in obtaining a visa, share it with us through the comments section. Conveying your experiences can help others in their visa application process pathway.

How useful was this article?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 2.8 / 5. Vote count: 8

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this article.