Having a US Green Card means you can live and work in the US permanently. This card is valid for ten years. In other words, after ten years, your Green Card expires, and you will need to get a new one. In the following, we intend to discuss the US Green Card Renewal process. So we will explain why the Green Card should be extended? How is it renewed? What forms do you need to complete? How long does it take to process your application? And other details.
Why is the Green Card extended?
You must renew your Green Card in the following circumstances:
- Your Green Card will expire within the next six months or has already expired.
- You have a Permanent Resident Card that does not have an expiration date.
- The Green Card is lost, damaged, or stolen.
- Your name or other personal information on your card may be incorrect.
- Your biographical information, such as your name, has changed.
- You may live in Canada or Mexico but come to the United States to work.
You should know that the Conditional Permanent Residence is a little different. This card is valid for two years, and the holder must receive the Green Card 90 days before the expiration date.
When can you renew your Green Card?
You can renew your Green Card as soon as it expires. You can also do this six months before the expiration date. If you lose your card, you must renew it immediately.
If you are outside the United States
- Your Green Card is expiring within six months, but you will return to the US within one year of leaving and before your card expires: File your Green Card renewal as soon as you return to the country.
- Your card has expired, and you did not apply for an extension before you left the country: Contact the US Embassy or US port of entry.
Check the expiration date of your card and make the necessary requirements before it expires. Having an expired Green Card will prevent you from re-entering the United States.
What documents do you need to renew your Green Card?
To renew your Green Card, you must provide the following documents:
- You must complete Form I-90 carefully.
- Make a copy of your current Green Card.
- If your Green Card is damaged or stolen, you must provide a copy of it. In this situation, you must also submit a copy of your passport, military ID, or driver’s license.
- If your personal information is incorrectly entered on the card, make a copy of your current card and also provide a copy of your marriage certificate or birth certificate.
How can you renew your Green Card?
To renew your Green Card, you must first complete Form I-90 and then submit it to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Generally, depending on whether you want to renew your Green Card online or via mail, consider the following:
|1- First, you need to create an online account on USCIS.|
2- Then complete and digitally sign Form I-90.
3-You must upload the required documents, including your current Green Card. If your biographic information has changed or your personal information has been entered incorrectly on the card, provide the relevant documents as well.
4- Pay the Green Card renewal fee.
5- Submit your application and wait to receive a new card.
|1- Complete and sign Form I-90.|
2- Prepare copies of documents, including expired Green Cards.
3- Pay the application fee.
4- Send the prepared documents and payment receipt to the given addresses.
If you want to submit your documents by paper and by mail, you can send the documents to one of the following addresses:
U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
PO. Box 21262
Phoenix, AZ 85036
Through DHL, FedEx, or UPS:
1820 E. Skyharbor, Circle S, Floor 1
Phoenix, AZ 85034
How much does it cost to apply for the US Green Card Renewal?
You have to pay $ 540 as an application fee if you want to renew your Green Card. USCIS determines the amount of this fee. The cost of filing Form I-90 is $ 455. The biometrics service fee is also $ 85. You need to pay this fee before applying for the Green Card Renewal. You can use the following ways to pay:
- American Express
- Discover card
Payment can also be made using money and checks, but USCIS does not accept cash.
What to do after you file your application?
After you submit your application:
- You will receive a mailed receipt indicating that USCIS has accepted your request. Notifications will also be sent to your online account.
- A letter will be sent to you one or two weeks after USCIS receives your application. Receiving this letter indicates that you should go for your biometrics. When you go for biometrics, your fingerprint, photo, and signature are taken. This confirms that the information you provided in your application is truthful.
- If USCIS needs more evidence, you will need to submit your documents by mail or online. You must submit the mentioned documents according to the deadline set by USCIS.
How long does it take to obtain a new Green Card?
The processing time of the Green Card renewal is 10 to 12 months. That’s why we recommend renewing your Green Card a few months before the expiration date. If your card is lost or stolen and you try to replace it, you will still have to wait 10 to 12 months.
Is it possible to reject the request for the Green Card renewal?
Yes. USCIS may reject your Green Card renewal request. Your request may be rejected in the following cases:
- You have committed a crime that will result in your deportation.
- You lied in your application.
- The US government has ordered you to leave the country before your Green Card expires.
- The information in the form is incorrect, or your supporting documents are wrong.
If the US Green Card renewal request is rejected, can I reapply?
No. You can not apply for an appeal if your application is rejected. But you can request to reconsider your case. To do this, you must provide facts that support your motion. You must show the USCIS made this decision based on a mistake in the application of immigration policy or the law.
Can you still stay in the United States with an expired Green Card?
Yes, you can still stay in the United States with an expired card. Also, if you do not renew your card, you will not be fined. But if you do not renew your Green Card, you can not do the following:
- You cannot find a new job because all US employers want your citizenship proof before hiring.
- You can also not get professional licenses such as a license to practice as a lawyer or physician.
- You may also have some difficulties renewing your driver’s license.
- You can’t buy a house the same as a US citizen.
- You cannot re-enter the United States if you travel outside the United States.
Let’s sum up…
In this blog, we tried to focus on the questions that you may face in the Green Card renewal process. At the Visa Library website, you can learn about other types of US visas as well as how to immigrate to other countries.
If you have experience in receiving or renewing your Green Card, share it with other readers and us through the comments section. Conveying your experiences can be very helpful and effective. We will also be happy to receive your constructive comments and suggestion.