What is UK EEA Residence Card, and who can use it?


UK EEA Residence Card is a tool for EEA citizens to live, study and work in the UK easily and with less trouble of red tape. There have been some changes due to the Brexit that you need to know. The article explains who still can receive the UK EEA Residence Card, requirements, eligibility, application process, FAQs, and more.

UK EEA Residence Card

European Economic Area citizens (EEA) enjoy the freedom to travel, live, work, start a business, and study in any other member country of the region. The agreement between the countries of the European Economic Area also includes common acknowledgment of the expert capabilities and coordination among individuals regarding social security.


What is a UK EEA Residence Card?

The EEA residence card is a multifunctional tool which, in addition to the UK residence permit, is also helpful for other circumstances, such as:

  1. Traveling through other EEA countries.
  2. Enter the UK faster and less bureaucratic from abroad.
  3. Show qualifications to work in the UK.
  4. Easier access to certain benefits and services.


Who needs an EEA Residence Card?

Non-EEA family members can get a UK EEA residence card if they are “immediate family members” or “extended family members” who have already lived here with you. This is only possible if you are a “qualifying person” or a “permanent resident of the UK.”

Non-EEA citizens who are also eligible for an EEA Residence Card live here as “deprived of residency” or “Surinder Singh.”

Your family needs an EEA card for different purposes. They will be able to get to the UK border more quickly and easily, confirm their qualifications for work here and receive benefits and services.

Note: Because of Brexit, the EEA Residence Card will no longer be valid in the UK from January 1, 2021. After December 31, 2020, you and your EEA members of the family must obtain established or predetermined foreign status here before that date.


 Who is considered a qualified person?

A qualified person is considered a person who lives in England and has health insurance if they are a student, rights of the treaty if they are a worker, a job seeker, a self-employed individual (with conditions), or a self-sustainable individual with health insurance.


Whom do the officials consider an immediate family member?

The following non-EEA citizens are recognized as family members of EEA citizens:

  • Your spouse/legal partner.
  • Your 21-year-old child/grandchild or a dependent of your spouse or civil partner.
  • Parents/grandparents of you / your spouse or civil partner.

If you are an EEA student in England, the following qualify as your non-EEA “immediate family members”:

  • A. Your spouse or legal partner.
  • B. Dependent children of you / your spouse or civil partner.


Whom do the officials consider extended family?

The following non-EEA citizens are recognized as members of the extended family of EEA citizens:

  1. The partner that you have not married to, but you have a long-term relationship with.
  2. Relative to you or your spouse or domestic partner. Family members can be:
  • siblings,
  • aunts or uncles,
  • nieces or nephews,
  • and cousins.

If you are an EEA student, they can also be grandchildren, parents/grandparents. They must obtain permission from the EEA. Before coming here, also, they must have been living with you or your family members. Otherwise, they must be your family members or live with you now unless they must need the personal care of their spouse or civil partner because they are very sick.


How to apply for a Residence card in the European Economic Area?

The EEA residence card application process includes submitting application documents and biometric requirements, like your digital photo, signature, and fingerprint.

When you and a qualified person apply simultaneously, they can include it in their online application form.

In other cases, you must download and complete the EEA Residence Card application form and use the postal service to send it to the Ministry of the Interior.


Requirements of EEA Residence Card

The documents needed to request for an EEA residence card are:

  • A properly completed EEA residence card application form. Form an EEA (FM) for members of the family. If you are a member of a large family, please use the EEA form (EFM).
  • Valid passport of the person who is going to apply.
  • Two recent passport suitable-sized color photos from the applicant.
  • The most recent passport suitable-sized color photo of your chosen sponsor. Citizens from the European Economic Area or England.
  • National EEA authentic passport/ the National ID card
  • Required fee for the application.
  • Documents support the relationship between European Economic Area and non- European Economic Area nationals (sponsors):
  • A. Marriage Certificate.
  • B. Civil Society Certificate
  • C. Birth certificate.

Evidence of having lived with your EEA sponsor for at least two years. For relationships that are not marriage or civil society.


Documents confirm any residency status of the supporter or applicant (as the case may be).

  •  Evidence that your EEA sponsor has permanent residency in the UK.
  •  Evidence that your EEA supporter is a qualified person.
  •  Evidence of showing that you are considered as a “reserved for residency” (if relevant).

Prove that you are evident in the “Surinder Singh” case if it is relevant.

  • Only applicable to “Surinder Singh” applications: The document confirms that British citizens share life and residence with non-EEA citizens from another European Economic Area country:
  1. Evidence showing your foreign address in the European Economic Area.
  2. Lease contract.
  3. Purchase contract.
  4. Other official documents showing the address.
  • Evidence of foreign integration into the European Economic Area:
  1. Proof of using any official language of the state.
  2. Proof of birth there.
  3. There is evidence that the child still lives there.
  • Previous travel itineraries to and from countries in the European Economic Area. It must show all dates of arrival and departure to and from the countries of the European Economic Area.
  • History of immigration in England and other countries. (If so):
  1. Complete visa applications from the UK or other countries.
  2. British denial, cancellation, deportation, or similar immigration fines.


Rights of reservation of residency

As a non-EEA citizen, if you are an EEA supporter who has died, left the UK, or married/partnered with the supporter in a civil relationship, you can obtain an EEA residence card as a “reserved residency” The situation has officially ended. Your EEA relative must be a “qualified person” or “permanent resident” here before they stop being your supporter.

You will be eligible to obtain the EEA green card as a “reservation of residency” situation under the following circumstances:

  • Divorced spouse/civil partner of a citizen of the EEA.
  • Family members of deceased citizens of the European Economic Area. You must live with your supporter for at least one year before their death.
  • Students and children of EEA citizens / their spouse or civil partner / former spouse or domestic partner. Your sponsor must have passed away or left the UK to live elsewhere.
  • Parents of non-EEA students who have UK guardianship.


Let’s sum up…

EEA Residence Card is a tool for EEA citizens to live, study, and work in the UK easier with less red tape. After the Brexit, the EEA members will no longer be able to use the Residence Card for the UK. The article explained the changes and who still can use them. There are some changes that you need to know about it.

If you need to know about other types of Uk visas, visit the left sidebar.

You can also find out about other countries’ visas by going through the menu of the site.

If you have information or knowledge about visas, please write them down. Let others light their ways with your help.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *