83.7 million visitors traveled to Spain in 2019. It became the second most visited country in the world. If you want to visit its numerous attractions, you may need a Spain Tourist visa. A few countries are exempt from this visa, but many more need it.
In this blog, we will cover the countries that need and don’t need a Spain tourist visa, the requirements, application process, validity, FAQs, and more.
What is Spain Tourist visa?
Spain tourist visa is a type of short-stay visa. You can enter Spain with this visa to do sightseeing, visit places, holiday, etc. When you are in Spain on this visa, you can visit your family and friends as well. Please note that Spain Tourist visa is the same as Spain Visitor visa.
Who Needs and Does not Need Spain Tourist visa
The answer depends on your nationality. The nationalities of a few countries are exempt from Spain short-stay visa, including:
- All members of Schengen Area
- Residents of the EU with a valid residence permit
If you don’t belong to the above list, then you need a Spain tourist visa. There are also some exceptions among the countries that need a Spain visa. Please note that Spain tourist visa is a short-stay visa. If you need a Spain long-stay visa, the list is different.
The Requirements for a Spain Tourist Visa
The requirements for a Spain Tourist visa is as follows:
A. Application form
You should complete it with exact true information. Please note that the information on the application must match with your documents. Then, you should print, sign, and date it.
Two photos taken in the past three months with a clear white background.
It must have at least one blank page and valid for three months over the date your trip ends. It mustn’t be older than ten years.
D. Copy of your passport
You should provide a copy of your passport information page plus previous visas. It will improve your chance to receive a visa.
E. Booked flights
The booked flight tickets with your name prove the date you enter and will leave Spain.
F. Travel Health insurance
It must be valid and cover your medical expenses in Spain and all Schengen countries.
G. Proof to have enough funds
You must have 573.23€ for a ten-day stay in Spain. The daily needed amount to stay in Spain is 70.77€. To prove that, you could:
- Provide bank statements
- If your host covers your expenses, he/she must provide a bank statement.
H. Proof of accommodation
You must provide evidence of the place you will stay in Spain. It could be:
- A reserved hotel
- Rental contract
- Invitation letter from your host if you will stay with him/her.
I. Civil status
- Marriage certificate
- Birth certificate of the children
- Death certificate of spouse (if applicable)
J. Cover letter
It’s a letter from you to the Spanish authorities. You explain why they should give you a visa. It explains the purpose of your trip to Spain.
Please note that the Spanish officials might ask for more documents. you have to provide them as well if they do so.
Spain Tourist Visa Application Process
Once you know that you need a Spain Tourist visa, you need to complete these steps:
1. Complete application
You should complete the Spain tourist visa application with appropriate details. Please remember that what you fill in must match with your documents.
2. Gather the requirements
As we mentioned above, collect all the required documents. Please note that the Spanish authorities might ask for more documents. You have to obey and provide them as well.
3. Book a visa appointment
You should book an appointment at the place you want to apply to. It could be a Spanish embassy/consulate in your home country.
4. At the appointment
When the time for the appointment comes, you should get there in person. During the appointment you should:
- Submit the application and the required documents
- Pay the visa fee. The fee for Spain tourist visa is 80 EUR.
- Go through the interview. The Spanish visa officer will ask you a few questions about your background and the purpose of your trip.
5. Wait for processing
Now you should wait until your application gets processed. It often takes 15 days.
If your application gets accepted, the officials will send you the visa attached to your passport. If not, they will send you a letter explaining the reason.
How Long is Needed for Spain Tourist Visa Processing?
It often takes 15 days for your Spain Tourist Visa to get processed. But the processing time can take up to 30 to even 60 days. It depends on:
- Your case
- The time you apply. The application takes longer in peak tourist season, summer months, particularly July and August.
- The political circumstance of your country
How Long is a Spain Tourist Visa Valid for?
The Spain Tourist Visa is valid for 90 days in six months. Yet, the Spanish authorities might give a visa valid for longer than that. It depends on their decision. Look at the validity tag on your visa. It will tell you everything.
Where Can You Apply for a Spain Tourist Visa?
Depending on the country you live in, you can apply at:
- Spanish embassy/consulate
- Visa center authorized by the Spanish government.
- Spanish embassy or consulate or a visa center in another country.
What if you want to Visit more than One Schengen Country?
If you want to visit more than one Schengen country:
- If you visit one Schengen country, you must apply at the embassy of the country you will visit.
- In case you visit more than one Schengen country, you must apply at the embassy/consulate of the country you will spend most of your time there.
- If you spend an equal amount of time in Schengen countries, you have to apply at the embassy of the country you will arrive first.
Do You Have to Buy Health Insurance for a Spain Tourist Visa
Yes, you have to buy health insurance for a Spain Tourist Visa. It must be valid and cover your medical expenses in Spain and all across Schengen states.
Spain Tourist Visa Interview Questions
When you attend the visa interview, you should go through an interview. The visa officer will ask you a few questions about:
- The place you live
- You live in a house, flat, etc.
- You own or rent a house.
- Your hobbies.
- How do you pass your free time
- Previous studies
- Marital status
- Work experience
- Does anyone will travel with you
- Have you traveled to other countries?
- Financial means
- The reason you have chosen Sweden, university or course
- Does anyone of your friends or family members live in Spain?
- Will you return to your home country after your trip ends?
Let’s sum up …
In this blog, we explained all about the tourist visa.
In this text, the people who need and don’t need a tourist visa, the requirements, application process, fees, validity, FAQs, and more.
You can find all the Spain visa information in the world here. To find out more about the visa that suits you, go through the menu of the site. You can find all types of Spain visas at the left sidebar.
You can check the Visa Library website to find more information about other countries’ visas.
In case you have some experience, please write it down in the comment section. Your comments let the readers choose better and avoid mistakes. Conveying your experiences as comments is a great help for applicants.