How to apply for Spain Non-Lucrative Visa?


Spain Non-Lucrative Visa is a visa for you if you have enough funds and want to move to Spain. The visa permits you to live and invest in the country without being able to work. After one year of living, you can work in Spain as well.

This article explains who can apply for a Non-Lucrative Visa, requirements, the application process, FAQs, and many more.

What is Spain Non-Lucrative Visa?

Spain Non-Lucrative Visa is for people who want to move to Spain without working. It authorizes you to stay in the country for the long term only if you have enough funds to cover your expenses.

The main precondition for a Non-Lucrative Visa is to have enough money to support yourself without a job in Spain.

When you move to Spain under the Non-Lucrative Visa, you have to apply for the Residence Permit. You apply for the visa from your home country but apply for the Residence permit from inside Spain. So the visa often gets called Spanish Non-Lucrative Residence Visa.


Who can apply for a Spain Non-Lucrative Visa?

The people who have enough money to cover themselves in Spain without getting a job can apply for a Spain Non-Lucrative Visa. They could be:

  • People who wish to retire in Spain.
  • Non-EU citizens who seek to work remotely in Spain.
  • People who want to stay in Spain for one year and get a work permit afterward.


Who needs a Spain Non-Lucrative Visa?

Not everyone needs a Spain Non-Lucrative Visa. If you don’t need a long-stay visa for Spain, then you don’t have to apply for the visa. In case you are a national of the below countries, you don’t need to apply for a non-lucrative visa. you can move to Spain and apply for the Residence permit directly:

  • EU member countries
  • Norway
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Switzerland


How to apply for a Spain Non-Lucrative Visa?

The application process for a Spain Non-Lucrative Visa is as follows:

1. Financial independence

As explained, the most important requirement for a Non-Lucrative Visa is financial independence. You need to have enough funds to support yourself without getting a job and help from the government. So before beginning the process, determine if you can prove your financial capability or not.

You must be able to transfer your funds to Spain. Some countries face transactional sanctions.

The required amount is 400% of the IPREM. It stands for Multiplier for the Public Income Index. It’s a reference for receiving aid from the government. You need to have more than the IPREM.

2. Application

Keeping one point in mind is necessary before beginning the application process. You can not apply for a Spain Non-Lucrative Visa from inside Spain. You have to do it from your home country or the country you reside in.

In case you are in Spain under a tourist visa, you may not apply for a non-lucrative visa.

First, you need to complete the application form. Be careful while completing the form. You need to put the correct form of information in it. For instance, the spelling of your names must be identical to your passport.

When you completed the form, print, date, and sign it. It would be better to print it twice and keep the spare one.

3. Requirements

See the section below. You need to gather all the required supporting documents. Everything must be according to the details. You would better start this stage a bit earlier as it might take a long to gather everything.

4. Arrange a visa appointment

Find out where to apply for the Spain non-lucrative visa. You might have to apply to the Spanish embassy or consulate in your home country or a visa center. Search through the Internet to find it out. Set a visa meeting with them and remember the exact date. The way you need to schedule an appointment depends on the embassy or center. It could be through phone or website.

5. Go to the visa meeting

Go to the visa meeting on the exact date. If you get there a bit early would be better. Remember to bring all the requirements with yourself.

When you meet your visa officer, submit the documents. They might ask you some questions about your visit. Then you have to pay the fee for visa processing. The fee is different for each nationality and subject to change.

6. Processing

Wait until the embassy processes your visa. The processing time depends on different elements. For instance, if the embassy asks for further requirements, it will take longer.

The Spanish officials will inform you when the visa is ready. They will send it to you, or you have to pick it up yourself.

7. Getting to Spain

First, you need to register with the municipality officials. You need to do it in the city you will be living.

Within the first month of arriving, you need to visit a Police Station to register your fingerprints. The officials will grant you the TIE or foreigner’s identity card. Then you can continue to receive your Residence Permit from the officials.


What are the requirements for a Spain Non-Lucrative Visa?

The requirements for a Spain Non-Lucrative Visa are as follows:

Application form

The national visa application form is different from a Schengen visa. You need to complete the first one.


You need to buy valid insurance from a private company in Spain. Bear in mind that insurance from an international company is not accepted. The insurance must be valid for at least one year.

The Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs has a list of reliable insurance companies that you can buy insurance from them. Yet, the list is not inclusive, and you can find another one on the Internet.

Remember that Spanish officials won’t accept insurances that include medical assistance coverage.

Proof to have enough funds

You need bank statements proving to have €25,000 for every year of staying in Spain. In other words, you need €2,150 for every month of staying in Spain and €535 (6.500 EUR annually) for every member of your family accompanying you.

Note: Remember that the minimum amount could change in your country, or the Spanish officials could raise the amount.

In case you cannot prove your financial capability, your application will get rejected no matter how convincing other parts are.

You could also prove your financial ability in another way. If you have a remote job, you can provide the employment contract proving your salary to cover your expenses.

As explained, the lucrative visa permits you to invest in Spain. You have the right to invest in any legal section you want. So you can provide investment proof. The Spanish officials also accept other forms of proof, such as rented property.

Personal documents

You need a marriage certificate or birth certificate for every family member accompanying you.

Clean record certificate

You need a certificate from the police or judiciary officials from your home country proving you haven’t done anything illegal in the last five years. The certificate can not be older than three months at the time of application.

Medical Certificate

You need this certificate from an approved doctor who proves you have no disease that’s a threat to public health. This one can not be older than 90 days at the time of application.


Two identical (3×4) cm photos were taken in the latest three months. The background must be white.

Ex-01 form

You need Form Ex-01 form along with your application form.

Attention: Th Spanish officials have the right to ask for further requirements. So you might have to gather more documents.

You also need to translate your original documents to Spanish by a verified translator.


Do you have to invest in a Spain Non-Lucrative Visa?

No. You don’t have to invest in Spain so to receive a non-lucrative visa. However, the visa permits you to do so. It provides another source of income for you, so you will have less worry over covering your expenses.


How long can you stay in Spain under a Spain Non-Lucrative Visa?

Spain Non-Lucrative Visa permits you to stay in the country for three months. During this time, you have to apply for your Residence permit. The permit allows you to stay in the country for two years. If you meet the financial capability, you can extend your visa for another two years. you can extend your permit if:

  • You have enough to cover your expenses or your family,
  • You hold a valid private health insurance
  • You have lived in Spain for at least 183 days.

After living in Spain for five years, you can apply for permanent residency.

Bear in mind that after living for one year in Spain, you can switch to a work visa. You can look for a job or work as a self-employed person. When you got the job offer from a Spanish employer, he/she applied for a work permit on your behalf.


Can I bring my family?

Yes, the non-lucrative visa permits you to bring your family to Spain. Yet, the financial requirements change for each family member. You need to have €6.454,03 annually for every family member you bring to the country. Bear in mind that the amount might be different for your nationality.

You could ask the Spanish embassy in your home country about the financial requirements.


Let’s sum up…

Spain Non-Lucrative Visa permits you to move to the country and stay if you have enough funds. The visa requires you not to work in Spain and cover your expenses on your own. After one year of staying, the visa authorizes you to work in Spain.

The article explained who is eligible for a non-lucrative visa, requirements, the application process, and more.

To know more about other types of Spain visa, go through the menu of the site.

In case you possess experience or knowledge with visas, share them with us in the comment section below. Visa applicants appreciate your help.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 1

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *